How can I plot L section and X sections of Road or Canal

mohanlal sinha

AutoCad 2008? If you are using only plain AutoCad you will have to manually calc all your natural/design/grade levels and draw the long and cross sections.

Is it an existing canal that has had a survey done on it? If so, ask the surveyor to produce them for you and they will be able to using whatever survey design package they use (such as Civil 3D or any of the many others out there).

If you are designing a new canal you should not be doing it all in plain Autocad and should be using some sort of design package (as above) instead.

If it is only a small canal you could easily manually do a typical cross section showing the general width, base, embankment slope etc, although its hard (not impossible though) to produce a decent long section with meaningful levels in Autocad alone.

Are you the same person as the person who started this thread? If not it is perhaps best if you started your own thread specific to your problem.

If you post up the file/more detail of what you have done so far it will make it easier to help you.

• 1 month later...
Very easy to draw l-sec use concatenate farmla in excel!!!

How does concatenation in Excel help exaclty? You would have to have the point data all in Excel to begin with.

here we go again

Please answer the following

1 Do you have civ3D or land desktop ?

2 How much civil design experience do you have ?

3 Have you had any autocad training ?

This will help us with an answer to you

i do not have civil 3D nor Land Desktop. i have only plain autocad. will you kindly please explain in brief the exel concatenation formulae.

thanks.

i do not mean to be rude, but if you are an engineer shouldn't you know how to draw a section of a canal? i can understand you not knowing how to use certain software, in which case you should have questions more related to commands and modelling etc.

asking "how do you draw sections for a canal?" is like asking "how do you use AutoCAD?"

please be more specific with your problem, or read a basic guide to start you off.

oh and also i believe it's not good practice to put your email address in the forum - i might be a good idea to edit your first post to avoid email-tracking software picking it out for spammage.

You're still trying to do this after two and a half months?

Concatenation(with regards to programming, inc. Excel) is simply the joining of two or more strings together to form one string.

Concatenation will in now way help you with what you are trying to achieve. Unless you already have all the data (every point, x,y,z) for the cross sections and longsection in Excel already then concatenation is usess to you. If you already have all that data in Excel, where did it come from?

So, please post whatever data (i.e. an Excel sheet or whatever, or a dwg file) you do have. Without that we can't help you.

i do not mean to be rude, but if you are an engineer shouldn't you know how to draw a section of a canal? i can understand you not knowing how to use certain software, in which case you should have questions more related to commands and modelling etc.

Exactly. A hand drawn sketch is easy to produce and then someone else can use whatever software (i.e. I know little about Revit myself so don't use that) is best to do that.

My guess though is that he is more interested in how to design a canal than to draw one.

plz all of you reply me , i m using autocad 2010 and how i can draw l-section on autocad 2010 plzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Did you mean a universal beam or a long section of something? Have a look at the basic beginner tutorials here.

• 2 weeks later...

for L or x section, there has to been chainage values (that goes along x axis) and elevation values ( that goes along y axis) the concatenation is the formulae for getting this x axis value and y axis value seperated by comma(,). after that this coordinate value can be copied and pasted in autocad which will give you the profile or x section

for L or x section, there has to been chainage values (that goes along x axis) and elevation values ( that goes along y axis) the concatenation is the formulae for getting this x axis value and y axis value seperated by comma(,). after that this coordinate value can be copied and pasted in autocad which will give you the profile or x section

Yes, that would draw the linework for the design surface, it would still require further touching up though (ns, levels, grades, annotation). I wonder why anyone would have all their chainages and design heights in an Excel spreadsheet. Designing it in Excel is possible to some extent although to then draw from data in it is cumbersome. The best option is still to get a civil design software package.

i guess the info you have written mohanlal sinha is really confusing, did you model the road and want to section it? or are you starting from scratch?.

well if your starting from scratch then dink87522 is right, you will draw the section manually, there is no block or model of a road in any autocad version which is already made, you have to do the work yourself.

if you did the model then just change the view your in but that does not mean that when you modeled the road, when you section it, the reinforcing bars will appear automatically for you. it will just show the profile of the one you modeled.

• 1 year later...
i am also civil engineer. greetings to all. hiya, my ploblem is, how to draw l section and x sections of canal. if you kindly suggest me. i am using autocad 2008.

thanking you/

mohanlal.sinha@rediffmail.com

See this link Plot L-section X-Section

Edited by sanju2323

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...