Revit and 2D

resullins

So, I have to start this post with a short story. We have a project coming up where the Architect wants everything done in Revit, so they assigned me to learn this c***. So, while I'm still poking around, I went to download the 30-day trial from the AutoDesk Site. But I keep getting the following error: "Unexpected HTTP error (Missing Range Header). And then won't download. So, as of today, I do NOT have this program in my possesion, I'm waiting on a disc.

Now, I have heard that the 2D capabilities of Revit are extraordinarily limited. But what I want to know, is HOW limited? 99% of our drawing set is generally in 2D. We do schematics, layouts, whatever. I can see how a lot of our stuff could be turned into a 3D version of itself (with the exception of the schematic), but if I can't import DWG blocks, where would I get these components?

AV manufacturers don't seem to have a lot of pre-made Revit blocks. I guess I'm just curious as to how much of our work could actually be done in Revit.

this may be a little late for a reply, but I work for an AV company and we are starting to get into Revit. You can link your CAD stuff into revit for things like onelines and schedules. If you want to do 3D, the best way is to import your 3D stuff into a Revit Family template and then insert that into your Revit project. There are some manufactures that have AV stuff on seek.autodesk.com (middle atlantic,....)