Someone give me some motivation!

Ste1978

I am trying to learn 3ds max, it seems every youtube clip or screen grab is something amazing! I don't see how I can ever be as good as some of you guys. I'm getting a bit down about how long this learning road is! Can anyone give me any tips/hints/motivation; can you remember when you started learning this? How long did it take you? Did you feel the same?

A very frustrated cadman!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cad64

• Jack_O'neill

• Ste1978

• kencaz

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, it's a long road to learn this program, but you just have to stick with it. It gets easier as you gain experience.

I know your pain. I'm self taught, which is one of the hardest ways to learn anything because you have no one to help you but yourself. You don't have a teacher to give you projects and there are no due dates or deadlines to meet. There are no classes to attend so you have to be diligent and dedicated and motivate yourself to put in the hours on your own time, which is usually after work or on the weekends, when you would rather be doing other things than working. And since there is no one to critique your work to let you know if you're doing it right or wrong, you have no way to gauge your progress. So you have to rely on yourself to find projects and set deadlines and do the work and then critique it yourself or post it on forums for others to comment.

When I was learning, all I had were a couple of books. Now there's all sorts of training material available whether it's books, training dvd's, youtube videos, online tutorials, forums, etc. I think it's a lot easier to learn now than it used to be. But you still have to be dedicated and do the work. It's tough to stay motivated when you're learning on your own.

My best advice would be to just set goals for yourself. If you don't have goals it becomes very difficult to stay focused and motivated. Look online for photos of things you're interested in and then make it your goal to build a model of whatever object you choose. Set a due date for the finished project and then just get to work and try to build the model within the time frame you've set.

Another good way to stay motivated is to participate in online modeling challenges. Most 3D forums have competitions, and anyone can enter. They provide you with a concept and a deadline, and then it's up to you to build a model. You probably won't win any of these challenges, and you don't even have to submit your model if you don't want to, but it's great practice and having a deadline is the best way to motivate yourself. I wish our competitions section was more active. It would be great to host challenges here but no one ever wants to get involved.

I don't know if any of that helps you, but that's what I did when I was learning.

I can only echo what Cad64 said. I too am mostly self-taught, and it is difficult to make yourself do it sometimes. Start out with simple objects and embellish on them. Things you have at hand you can measure and recreate. Draw your own living room, or cell phone or a bookcase...anything you can find in your house. If you take on too ambitious a project, you will get frustrated and bored. Walk before you try to run, and post your results here, inviting comments and suggestions. You'd be amazed at how much that will help.

Bucky has some great Tutorials on 3ds...

I love all the comments posted on that page about how to get Max for free by pretending to be a student. :roll:

If they want a free program, why don't they just use Blender? It can do pretty much everything Max can do, and they don't have to lie, cheat or steal in order to get it. It's free!!!

I love all the comments posted on that page about how to get Max for free by pretending to be a student. :roll:

If they want a free program, why don't they just use Blender? It can do pretty much everything Max can do, and they don't have to lie, cheat or steal in order to get it. It's free!!!

Ha...Did not notice that. Funny.

Yes, it's a long road to learn this program, but you just have to stick with it. It gets easier as you gain experience.

I know your pain. I'm self taught, which is one of the hardest ways to learn anything because you have no one to help you but yourself. You don't have a teacher to give you projects and there are no due dates or deadlines to meet. There are no classes to attend so you have to be diligent and dedicated and motivate yourself to put in the hours on your own time, which is usually after work or on the weekends, when you would rather be doing other things than working. And since there is no one to critique your work to let you know if you're doing it right or wrong, you have no way to gauge your progress. So you have to rely on yourself to find projects and set deadlines and do the work and then critique it yourself or post it on forums for others to comment.

When I was learning, all I had were a couple of books. Now there's all sorts of training material available whether it's books, training dvd's, youtube videos, online tutorials, forums, etc. I think it's a lot easier to learn now than it used to be. But you still have to be dedicated and do the work. It's tough to stay motivated when you're learning on your own.

My best advice would be to just set goals for yourself. If you don't have goals it becomes very difficult to stay focused and motivated. Look online for photos of things you're interested in and then make it your goal to build a model of whatever object you choose. Set a due date for the finished project and then just get to work and try to build the model within the time frame you've set.

Another good way to stay motivated is to participate in online modeling challenges. Most 3D forums have competitions, and anyone can enter. They provide you with a concept and a deadline, and then it's up to you to build a model. You probably won't win any of these challenges, and you don't even have to submit your model if you don't want to, but it's great practice and having a deadline is the best way to motivate yourself. I wish our competitions section was more active. It would be great to host challenges here but no one ever wants to get involved.

I don't know if any of that helps you, but that's what I did when I was learning.

Thanks, that is great advice. I never thought of learning this way - you're right, I need to give myself challenges and maybe a project with a deadline. I suppose it's difficult to know where to begin!

I will spend some time in this thread and keep and eye out for these challenges. No way would I enter anything, but I like the idea of learning together!

Blender...hmmm....never heard of that one. Checked it out though...looks interesting. Think I'll download it and play with it some.

Ok, here are some sites for you to check out. They hold challenges on a regular basis, so there's lots to look at. You can browse through the past competitions and pick something that looks interesting. Read the rules regarding the competition and then try to create your model within the time frame that was given. There are enough challenges in the sites below to keep you busy for quite some time. Have fun! :)

http://forums.3dtotal.com/

http://challenge.cgsociety.org/

http://www.evermotion.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=373

http://www.3dm3.com/forum/f82/

http://www.3drender.com/challenges/

http://www.gameartisans.org/gamecon/archives/index.php?cat=1

http://www.3dworldmag.com/3dworld-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=42

One spoon at a time, take it one by one it's much easier to learn that way, me also is a self-taught. During my early days I always look at cool renders and I take them as my inspiration that I'll work harder, sleepless nights so one day I can render like those renders.

Redvertex once said, learn from the master so one day you'll be one of them. If someone give you some tips or advice you in a forum threat them well and with respect because in my experience they are the ones who will help you and inspires you along these never ending road of learning in CG, good luck!

Arjun

I would love to be able to give you words of encouragement as i too am taking a class on the program, but i have come to the conclusion that 3ds is just a big stinky Piece of s***! It's just without a doubt THE most uncomfortable program I have ever worked with which is unfortunate because I do agree that you can get some nice results if you can put up with it long enough.

Please mind your language. :glare:

Exactly what is the problem? Every program is difficult to work with when you are learning, but if it's that uncomfortable for you then maybe Max is not the right program for you. Maybe you should try a different program.

And if you are having problems, try asking questions instead of just condemning the program and giving up. I'm sure there are simple solutions to whatever issues you are having.

There's no magic in every 3D program if you want to be good at it, all it takes is 99% of perspiration and 1% inspiration.

Good luck.

Arjun

I think some people just expect too much, and when they can't understand something or they aren't immediately able to do something, they just give up and blame the program. Most software issues are due to user error or inexperience, not problems with the program.

I think some people just expect too much, and when they can't understand something or they aren't immediately able to do something, they just give up and blame the program. Most software issues are due to user error or inexperience, not problems with the program.

Why not blame the program? It's is easy enough, the program doesn't deny anything. Kinda like blaming all the poor drawings on the drafter that just left. :o

Funny, I never really thought of a program or anything else being poorly design or too difficult to operate, I had always thought I just wasn't intelligent or educated enough to figure it out. :shock:

Back to the motivational speech for Ste1978....Git er Dun

The way I get into new programs is Read, do a little something in the program, read some more. Start small, do the simplest projects first, then slowly work your way up. I think most people that just give up, try starting out to big.

We live in an age where everyone has become accustomed to having things happen right now. Companies can't wait for products to be released, it has to happen as soon as (or preferably before) the idea guys think of it. People don't drive thier cars to where ever they are going, they text and talk on the phone and balance thier checkbooks and hope they don't have a wreck because all this stuff can't wait till they get there. Sit down in front of a computer with a software package you've never seen before, and why shouldn't you be up and running and be an expert in 10 minutes? After all, didn't the salesman say it's easy to use?

Well, maybe one day we will all be able to just jack into the matrix and download all the information we need about any subject and become experts within minutes, but until then, we need to study and practice if we want to be good at something. :wink:

.....we need to study and practice if we want to be good at something. :wink:

That was once a code to live by....I do not think that would fly in this day and age.

How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice, Practice, Practice!!!
:wink:

In my experience i thought 3ds was rather intuitive compared to Maya or Cinema 4D.

I can't think of a shape that can't be done in max...

In my experience i thought 3ds was rather intuitive

You're right, it is, and I was able to pick it up rather quickly. But not everyone is wired the same. Our friend Shiloh may be more comfortable with Maya or one of the other programs out there. Or maybe he should just stick to 2D? :unsure: