AutoCAD multiple logins and default settings

nlao

Hi!

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but as I not sure what I am looking for it quite hard!

Here is the situation, I have worked in several offices now where AutoCAD is installed on each machine and the Windows Profiles are on each machine and are not roaming. Each computer is linked to a server that manages the domain, serves files and hosts outlook. This means if I log onto a machine that is not my usual one, windows creates a new profile and the AutoCAD profile is back to default.

The means that any new user, or anyone using someone elses machine, does not have access to the company's printer settings, toolbar (or ribbon), plot styles etc.

Is there anyway that when the above happens a "default" profile is loaded with basic settings already activated. it will save me a lot of time!

I hope this explains it?!!

(Oh we are still using XP if that is any help).

• 2 months later...

Two things you need to keep with you at all times:

Acad.pgp

and your cui file

replace the files and done.

You can import a profile so could have one on the server for you. But you must change the desktop icon properties so that it always looks for this profile after its loaded. /p myprofile

The other way found a bit more reliable with upgrades was to use a lisp to recreate all the profile settings paths printers etc and load the menu's.

Our method of mitigating this issue was to have all enterprise components stored to a read-only server location where myself and a few others have write access. All user definable files (main cui, etc) are mapped to a personal network drive that follows the user no matter what machine they log into (per our Windows profile).

• 2 weeks later...
Our method of mitigating this issue was to have all enterprise components stored to a read-only server location where myself and a few others have write access. All user definable files (main cui, etc) are mapped to a personal network drive that follows the user no matter what machine they log into (per our Windows profile).

Oh I like. This is a nice way of setting it up. How would you go about stripping out paths etc to be set on install e.g. Plot support paths?

How would you go about stripping out paths etc to be set on install e.g. Plot support paths?

I'm not sure I understand you fully.

*If* you're asking how we manager the Profile settings (i.e., Support File Search Paths, Printer Support File Paths, etc.), while we do use an ARG file initially (using the /p startup switch from the application icon), we use ACAD.lsp for ongoing profile management. Example.

*If* you're asking how we manager the Profile settings (i.e., Support File Search Paths, Printer Support File Paths, etc.), while we do use an ARG file initially (using the /p startup switch from the application icon), we use ACAD.lsp for ongoing profile management. Example.

Apologies for being vague. That is exactly what I want to do. But as far as I am aware PGPs and LISP do not work on LT. Is there a way of taking these settings from the registry and then importing them?

Apologies for being vague. That is exactly what I want to do. But as far as I am aware PGPs and LISP do not work on LT. Is there a way of taking these settings from the registry and then importing them?

Ah, ha. I didn't realize that we were talking about LT, as your "using" description simply lists "AutoCAD 2011."

Without the use of LISP, I suspect that you will have to fall back on a well thought out profile (.ARG), and perhaps DOS Batch files (.BAT). Without programming, I do not believe you can automate profile changes, etc. - you're probably going to have to make changes at each machine individually.

Again, that's all to the best of my limited knowledge, as I don't use LT.

Ah, ha. I didn't realize that we were talking about LT, as your "using" description simply lists "AutoCAD 2011."

Without the use of LISP, I suspect that you will have to fall back on a well thought out profile (.ARG), and perhaps DOS Batch files (.BAT). Without programming, I do not believe you can automate profile changes, etc. - you're probably going to have to make changes at each machine individually.

Again, that's all to the best of my limited knowledge, as I don't use LT.

Ah yes, well I use AutoCAD 2011 and the other punters at work have to put up with LT 2009. :D

The biggest complaint I have from them if they log into another machine is "I cannot print", I say every time "that's because you don't have the PC3s installed". they go "The wha..?" and i change the paths and all works. I would like to automate that path changing that is all! I know the paths are stored in the registry and was wondering if anyone had created a logon script that replaces the paths everytime from say a reg file. That way I can control the paths without any questions!

I know the paths are stored in the registry and was wondering if anyone had created a logon script that replaces the paths everytime from say a reg file. That way I can control the paths without any questions!

If LT doesn't support the use of startup switches to control the profile, then use the SHELL command (for AutoCAD) to launch a DOS Batch file to make the registry changes.

Not too sure, again because I've never had the need for this, check out:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > AutoDesk > AutoCAD > 18.1 > ACAD-####:### > Profiles

... and look into the REG DOS Command.

Good luck!