AutoCAD 2012 New Feature Summary

rkmcswain

The AutoComplete is the same thing, albeit highly updated, as hitting Tab when you're in the middle of typing a command. I will get use out of this personally.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rkmcswain

• Cad64

• SLW210

• rkent

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

im part of the autocad Beta testing, and He broke the Liscense agreement

NOT A SINGLE detail can be revealed before autocad is officialy available

Incorrect. The NDA was lifted at 8:01EST 22 MAR 2011

The AutoComplete is the same thing, albeit highly updated, as hitting Tab when you're in the middle of typing a command. I will get use out of this personally.

It it improved in that you don't have to know the FIRST part of the command/sysvar/etc.

There have been many times I know "part" of a command/sysvar, but not necessarily the "first part" - and the TAB trick doesn't help at all.

Now I can type in *TIP* when I'm looking for something to do with tooltips but I can't remember it's "ROLLOVERTIPS" :-)

It it improved in that you don't have to know the FIRST part of the command/sysvar/etc.

There have been many times I know "part" of a command/sysvar, but not necessarily the "first part" - and the TAB trick doesn't help at all.

Now I can type in *TIP* when I'm looking for something to do with tooltips but I can't remember it's "ROLLOVERTIPS" :-)

Well that right there would sure enough be handy for us memory challenged. I like that.

...and it's easy to enable or disable (AUTOCOMPLETEMODE sysvar)

There was an Autodesk freebie out there a couple of years ago that did the same thing, and it had a very clunky/sluggish feel to it... the one built into 2012 does not feel like it's slowing anything down - at least so far... :-)

"uh... we put a '12' on the box.":lol:

oh, I have a feeling that the Array onscreen preview might work like the Hatch, which is by crashing Autocad.

"uh... we put a '12' on the box.":lol:

And they used the words "new", "improved", and "faster". They also claimed it will make you "more productive than ever". I had a hunting dog that was the fastest dog in the world. He ran in a circle so fast one day he disappeared right up his own bunhole.

oh, I have a feeling that the Array onscreen preview might work like the Hatch, which is by crashing Autocad.

I have not had HATCH crash 2011, but you certainly want to re-enable the old style hatch dialog if you are in anything larger than a tiny drawing....

It will slow it to a crawl....

I like the additional multifunctional grips.
Agreed. Associative array & array to path also make me happy.

im part of the autocad Beta testing, and He broke the Liscense agreement

NOT A SINGLE detail can be revealed before autocad is officialy available

What the?... Not true. We were released from the NDA the day you made this post.

And they used the words "new", "improved", and "faster". They also claimed it will make you "more productive than ever". I had a hunting dog that was the fastest dog in the world. He ran in a circle so fast one day he disappeared right up his own bunhole.

Hey Baron, I mean Mark... That must have been a hard time!

That's a pretty slick feature. I'll be getting use out of that as well.

Another ported feature that has been in Inventor for a long time. It's about time AutoCAD got up to speed on this...

KC

I've found it a bit faster, and pretty stable. The autocomplete would be okay for novice users, but oldies usually have aliases they know off by heart. It's good when you're looking for an occasional XDWGFADECTL and the like ;)

The 'multi'command line colours just gives you a head spin trying to come up with something usable. Old timers like me will totally 'not see' the different colour main command line under the history commands ;( I have a lot of prompts and feedback in my many User commands and it just looks wrong!

I jumped from 2010 to 2012 and finally don't have a 'crash/lockup' when performing 'create section' from a sectionplane. (I had to drop back to a 2007 install to do check sections)

The new 'inventor' documentation looks cool, will have to play and see if it is actually usable; )

This time of year is always fun for us ACAD geeks ;)

I'm actually kind of angry about this. 2012 looks like it may have been a better option for us than going with SolidWorks. I wish I would have known about this four months ago before we pulled the trigger on the purchase. It would have made transitioning to 3D much easier than learning a new program. AutoCAD is FINALLY doing what it should have done for a while.

SolidWorks is still a far superior program for part modeling than AutoCAD I would assume. I wouldn't dwell on that purchase at all if your company does manufacturing.

I've found it a bit faster, and pretty stable. The autocomplete would be okay for novice users, but oldies usually have aliases they know off by heart. It's good when you're looking for an occasional XDWGFADECTL and the like ;)

The 'multi'command line colours just gives you a head spin trying to come up with something usable. Old timers like me will totally 'not see' the different colour main command line under the history commands ;( I have a lot of prompts and feedback in my many User commands and it just looks wrong!

I jumped from 2010 to 2012 and finally don't have a 'crash/lockup' when performing 'create section' from a sectionplane. (I had to drop back to a 2007 install to do check sections)

The new 'inventor' documentation looks cool, will have to play and see if it is actually usable; )

This time of year is always fun for us ACAD geeks ;)

Novice users? I am glad you have memorized the entire sysvar list, from now on I'll PM you for...Whats the variable that.....? :D

I'm actually kind of angry about this. 2012 looks like it may have been a better option for us than going with SolidWorks. I wish I would have known about this four months ago before we pulled the trigger on the purchase. It would have made transitioning to 3D much easier than learning a new program. AutoCAD is FINALLY doing what it should have done for a while.

If you would have went with Inventor, you would still have AutoCAD. :D

As of now looks like I will not be getting 2012 anytime soon, just left a meeting to discuss moving to Bentley AutoPLANT or AutoCAD Plant 3D or similar within the next year. :o

I guess it depends on how different people work... and remember things. To me, it seems like AutoComplete would be a lot more beneficial to novices than experienced AutoCAD users. I do like the idea of being able to search for sysvars and commands by knowing any part of the name, but IMO, that would have been a much better addition to Help, than having it sucking resources even for users that never use it.

I still don't get how Autocomplete will be useful to anyone other than a novice. If you're trying to find a system variable, that means you don't know what it is, correct? So how would you even know what to start typing in at the command prompt? When I need to find a variable, and I can't remember what it is, I open the Express Tools - System Variable Editor.