chandelier

bernardino

From what century? Do you have an image you could share with us? If we have no idea of the type/style it would be difficult to say where to start and how to go about doing it. Your question is fairly vague. A little more detail would be helpful.

Have you done any 3D work with AutoCAD at all?

I just did a search of Google images on the word chandelier and there had to been hundreds of different types and styles of chandeliers. Some of the more popular are colonial, baroque, contemporary, crystal, blown glass and wrought iron. The only limit is your imagination. Chandeliers have been made from ping pong balls, bullets, glue guns, shoes, utensils, sea glass, paper, plexiglass, steel, you name it and it has probably been done. The question is, what do you have in mind?

if you are trying to make some sort of decorative shape, drawing the profile and revolving it would be a good start, from there you can add your detail in one plane and use the ARRAY command to make multiple copies concentric to the center of your lamp. These of course are just general techniques and we really need to know what you are going for with your drawing.

From what century? Do you have an image you could share with us? If we have no idea of the type/style it would be difficult to say where to start and how to go about doing it. Your question is fairly vague. A little more detail would be helpful.

Have you done any 3D work with AutoCAD at all?

yes i did some 3D work like masterbedroom,kicthen,dining room,office,sofa,arm chair,lamp shade,winding staircase,

Doric column, Chandelier im looking to all kinds like colonial

(1607-1780),federal and empire (1780-1850), baroque (16

25-1714),late georgian (1765-1811),british victorian (1837

-1901),American victorian (1840-1910),edwardian (1901-1

914),arts and crafts (1860-1925),american beaux arts(18

70-1920),art nouveau(1888-1905),art deco,twenties and

thirties and contemporary.

No need to double post.

shift1313's answer is a good start. Now pick one of your categories, like colonial for instance, find an image that suits you, post it here and we'll offer further advice as needed. Again, there are so many variations out there, that all we can really do at the moment is talk in generalities.

Do you know what the different parts of a chandelier are called?

The canopy or collar (at the top) could be made using the revolve command.

The scrolls and arms could be made using the extrude command.

The bobeches can be made with the revolve command and the same goes for the shades.

The prisms and pendalogues I'll have to think on.

I think I'll have to take a closer look at the image. It's kind of small for me to see all the detail at the moment.

The prisms and pendalogues can be made using extrude (for some of the prisms) and loft.

Looking forward to seeing your first drawing of a 3D chandelier.

remark, the prisms can be made also with an extrude/taper command i think. assuming you have the taper about correct, them mirror.

for the scrolls and arm i wold probably do something a bit different than remark. I would draw the profile of these arms and revolve it 1-3 degrees. then array. Since you are only revolving a few degrees you would not notice any surface concavity. since you are using 2008, you could draw several cross sections and loft between them as well.

can you find any larger images?

remark, the prisms can be made also with an extrude/taper command i think. assuming you have the taper about correct, them mirror.

for the scrolls and arm i wold probably do something a bit different than remark. I would draw the profile of these arms and revolve it 1-3 degrees. then array. Since you are only revolving a few degrees you would not notice any surface concavity. since you are using 2008, you could draw several cross sections and loft between them as well.

can you find any larger images?

I find a larger image of a colonial chandelier but it's different to the other image i send yesterday.

big colonial chandelier.jpg

I would start by drawing the profile of the center section. Imagine you gut it into 4 section vertically(like opening an orange). Once you have a closed polyline "section" of the center part you can revolve it. I dont have time right now but tomorrow i can draw a few things to show you how to get started if someone else doesnt chime in.

That's more of a contemporary colonial compared to the first image you posted.

I agree with shift. Create a profile of the center section and revolve it. With the exception of the arms and the chain it looks like you could use the revolve command for the majority of the chandelier. For the arms I would consider drawing the centerline then extruding a circle along this path. That will get you well on your way.

For information regarding the names of the parts of a chandelier go to www.chandelierparts.com.

• 12 years later...
On 10/1/2008 at 1:22 PM, ReMark said:

Do you know what the different parts of a chandelier are called?

The canopy or collar (at the top) could be made using the revolve command.

The scrolls and arms could be made using the extrude command.

The bobeches can be made with the revolve command and the same goes for the shades.

The prisms and pendalogues I'll have to think on.

I think I'll have to take a closer look at the image. It's kind of small for me to see all the detail at the moment.

I came across here while researching chandelier 3d models. This message gave me an idea. Thanks.