How many of you are still the primary drafter at your company?

SuperCAD

Oh, I've got the tool palettes and templates all set up for speed an accuracy. Custom blocks, lisp routines, plot settings, you name it. It's not the AutoCAD based work that I'm worried about. It's all the stuff on the back end where I need help from other people because I can't do it all by myself.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SuperCAD

• tzframpton

• bbankston

• Jack_O'neill

I'm the only draftsman at my company but, I will be training our new guy in AutoCAD in a couple of months. He too is a Graphic Designer that picks up on software quickly and easily.

It's just me here. But one day I'm going to have to train someone new. I should really plan that now. There's a hybrid of old style (before me - 6 years ago) and the things I've been updating. I should pick a lane and go with it.

The head Engineer does some autocad, so I have to keep him updated and happy too.

There's a hybrid of old style (before me - 6 years ago) and the things I've been updating.

We have that here too, and let me tell you it is one major PITA! The old drawings were so bad that when we get a request to revise one, we just scrap it and start over. I'd go with your newer, updated version as long as management is OK with it.

I work for a very small company, so it is I and one other guy, we both discuss things that need to change, or be updated and it becomes law lol. I have setup all the standards moving forward slowly into a BIM workflow, and he updates and maintains the standards in place. Our review process is pretty streamlined and works very well. The changes come into the office, and my boss hands it off to whoever needs more to do, or has been leading the project, the changes are made, and then sent to the other to double check the changes. It then goes back to my boss, who then presents to the client. Our "Final" procedures are more complex though, which includes "plot checks" in which one person in the office goes over the entire drawing to make sure things look good and are complete, then it goes to my boss for a "Final check" where it goes through a dimensional check and note check to make sure everything adds up and follows code, and then it is issued if there are no further changes.

• 2 weeks later...

My company handles it a bit different. Over the last couple years the CAD Manager position has changed a few times in trying to get it to work properly. I was originally in the CAD manager position where I did absolutely no drafting at all unless otherwise told to. This went on for about a year and ultimately didn't work out the best since I am the drafter that has been with the company the longest and the most experienced with CAD, in the ways of company / customer standards and creating templates, blocks, etc. Several projects would fall behind and if I stepped in to assist, I would be told by my boss to not do that and I ended up sitting around twiddling my thumbs waiting to review projects.

Two years later, and several upper management changes later, they changed the title to Lead Drafter and still do some delegating, I still maintain our CAD templates and do training, but the only difference is that I also do projects, specifically larger projects which I enjoy more.

I'm at a sort of crossroads with this position now. After what happened last week, I think I'm left with more questions than answers. In short, I asked what it means to be a CAD manager at this company and no one could give me an answer. I then simplified it and asked what it means to just be a manager, and I still couldn't get an answer. So I have the title, but no one knows what I'm supposed to do or where my boundaries of responsibility are. Nearly everything that I know or presume a CAD manager to be doesn't fit in with what this company wants it to be... but again they won't tell me what they want it to be.

As of right now, I'm just the guy who gets yelled at when something goes wrong.

That was me when my title was CAD Manager also.

I'm at a sort of crossroads with this position now. After what happened last week, I think I'm left with more questions than answers. In short, I asked what it means to be a CAD manager at this company and no one could give me an answer. I then simplified it and asked what it means to just be a manager, and I still couldn't get an answer. So I have the title, but no one knows what I'm supposed to do or where my boundaries of responsibility are. Nearly everything that I know or presume a CAD manager to be doesn't fit in with what this company wants it to be... but again they won't tell me what they want it to be.

That means that you are really "Somebody" around there!

"Get Somebody to do this"...they come to you!

"Somebody screwed this up"...they come to you!

"We have to blame our stupidity on Somebody else"...they pick you!

Seriously, if its a good company, it may be that they are testing your initiative. What do you want your role to be? You could write your own ticket. Assume as much responsibility as you're willing and able to handle, and make things happen.

On the other hand, it may be that you intimidate your immediate superiors to the point that they don't know what do do with you. They may see you as a threat. You can either curl up in the corner and try to prove you're not, or you can become the threat they think you are and eat thier lunches for real.

My advice...be who you are and do what you think is right. If you are to be damned, be damned for what you really are.

That means that you are really "Somebody" around there!

"Get Somebody to do this"...they come to you!

"Somebody screwed this up"...they come to you!

"We have to blame our stupidity on Somebody else"...they pick you!

Seriously' date=' if its a good company, it may be that they are testing your initiative. What do you want your role to be? You could write your own ticket. Assume as much responsibility as you're willing and able to handle, and make things happen.

On the other hand, it may be that you intimidate your immediate superiors to the point that they don't know what do do with you. They may see you as a threat. You can either curl up in the corner and try to prove you're not, or you can become the threat they think you are and eat thier lunches for real.

My advice...be who you are and do what you think is right. If you are to be damned, be damned for what you really are.[/quote']

That was beautiful, Jack!

• 2 weeks later...

I think Super and I are probably the same guy, lmao! Everything he's said, I could've typed myself. I feel your pain!

I was hired because of my skill in Revit. Then everyone was complaining about not having a CAD Manager since the last one left in a fit of rage. All anyone did was complain, but not step up, even when asked. I was the last one asked, so I stepped up. My last firm had STANDARDS! I mean, if your line was on the wrong layer, they found it and you KNEW it. This place...no standards...draw a line on one layer (say "WALL" with color 5) and set it to color 7. Oh wait, it's too thick, lets change the ctb! Oh man, it's hell. I've been working for a year to get everyone to draw BYLAYER. If the layer's wrong, tough...I'll take it to the powers-that-be and see what THEY say...in the meantime, LEAVE IT BYLAYER and if you so much as touch the ctb, I'll remove AutoCAD from your machine. (I've done it)

There's several engineers and an architect, 5 draftsmen and myself. Basically, I was given the position by the owner. I then told the owner what responsibilities the position entailed...he said ok (BIM Manager just fell in my lap, cause no one else understands Revit or the concept of BIM). I've been teaching Revit, implementing standards, and fighting an uphill battle with no support from above. Project managers battle me, draftsmen battle me, owner says "We'll meet later to discuss that".

Not to mention how much drafting I'm expected to do. I do most all of the Revit work because the draftsman that picked it up the best, is also the best at AutoCAD, so he's kept busy with all the advanced work there.

Aye...

It's so nice to see I'm not alone.

Kind of an older thread, but I can add to it.

I can empathize with all you guys too. There are 3 engineers and two drafters (including me). Since our firm is so small, I also get roped into being the secretary and do some bookkeeping as well. I have tried to explain to my boss that I can be more of an asset to the company if I am only a drafter...but heaven forbid they hire someone else to do something that I do for free. Any suggestions? >_

My opinion...

Have a meeting to discuss your responsibilities as a Drafter. Don't let them rope-in the responsibilities of bookkeeping and secretary. Then after the meeting, list out your responsibilities in addition to those of being a Drafter. Compare these to those of a typical Secretary or Bookkeeper. Now, compare your current pay to that of other Drafters in your area. Look up the pay for Secretaries and Bookkeepers in your area. Comparing your responsibilities to those of the official role, determine what you think would be fair pay. Add this number to your current pay (or negotiate it up if you want to try) and go back to your boss(es). Argue that they can pay you for the position you are titled for (Drafter) AND the position(s) you are also fulfilling, for a lower combined pay than if they were to hire another person outright; But you don't feel it's fair to be performing someone else's job (whether they be there or not) in addition, for free.

I don't know your boss(es), my current one is very open-door and doesn't hesitate to shoot-down a suggestion if he doesn't like it, but also doesn't hold grudges. My last employer was the exact opposite. They heavily weighed on decisions, and if in the end they didn't like it, it showed up in your annual review, bonuses and attitudes towards you at work. Take this thought into account when deciding as well; no one wants to get fired.

Now, this type of approach IS NOT for everybody, so it's at your own risk. It has paid off (very well) for me in my experiences, as well as friends and family of mine.

The only counter-point to Fried's comments above that I see, is that before you simply add both pay rates together (i.e., Drafter, and Secretary work), first honestly consider the percentage of your time spent on each.

You may very well be drafting full time (40 Hrs/Wk), and doing Secretary work above, and beyond that time... in which case you have a legitimate claim to (a portion of?) both.

However, if instead you are perhaps a drafter 60%, and a secretary 30%, and looking for another job 10% (

Lastly, I'd urge you to consider what you're good at, as you'll always be asked to do more of it... that goes for the tasks you enjoy (drafting), every bit as much as those you do not (secretary).

Example:

My setting up my future mother-in-law's Christmas tree; Sure as $#!%, I got roped into doing that every year. LoL

Good luck!

Agree completely. I was thinking that, but it got lost in my head with the rest of the stuff pouring out onto the keyboard.

Thanks for your reply guys! I did mention to my boss that it would be nice to have at least a part-time secretary again. (We have burned thru 4 in 3 years because most people need full time and we can only afford half-time). So I think I got the ball rolling on getting another one.

Lastly, I'd urge you to consider what you're good at, as you'll always be asked to do more of it... that goes for the tasks you enjoy (drafting), every bit as much as those you do not (secretary).
I am good at everything I do here! 8) (hahaha,j/k) I think because I have done all these things at other jobs, it probably seems like it takes no extra effort on my part to just take care of them all by myself. I will try to be more assertive about my being the lead drafter as my primary job.

It's nice to know there are other people who have gone thru this and survived.

Any other suggestions are much invited.