need help on installing a mac version autocad!!

anabel

Hi everyone!

I downloaded AutoCAD 2011 and can't install it because it said my macbook version is not supported.. I have Macbook 4.1 and AutoCAD 2011 for Mac book system requirements is 5.1 or later..

I searched previous version of AutoCAD but can't find any ..Am I force to buy a new mac laptop due to this kind of exclusion that autodesk is making?

I really need help because the professor is going to show us how to work with AutoCAD..otherwise I have to work alone in a different building :(

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• anabel

• f700es

• ReMark

• Organic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the requirement asks for 5.1 and you have 4.1 then your system does NOT meet the minimum requirements. There is no previous version. AutoCAD for Mac came out for the first time last year.

A good friend of mine had a similar dilema.

He installed a dual operating system for his Mac which meant he ran Windows and the Apple OS together and go between the two.

He then installed and ran AutoCAD on the Windows operating system, though it did have a tendency to crash a fair bit.

I'll try and find out from him what programme he used to run the dual OS's.

If the requirement asks for 5.1 and you have 4.1 then your system does NOT meet the minimum requirements. There is no previous version. AutoCAD for Mac came out for the first time last year.

AutoCAD release 12 and prior could be used for MAC

A good friend of mine had a similar dilema.

He installed a dual operating system for his Mac which meant he ran Windows and the Apple OS together and go between the two.

He then installed and ran AutoCAD on the Windows operating system, though it did have a tendency to crash a fair bit.

I'll try and find out from him what programme he used to run the dual OS's.

Bootcamp

I would not recommend finding and loading Release 12 for Mac on your computer. We're talking about a program that was released in 1993. How old is your present Mac?

I would not recommend finding and loading Release 12 for Mac on your computer. We're talking about a program that was released in 1993. How old is your present Mac?

He asked I answered. I think 4.1 was in 2008, I am sure someone might know exactly.

And no, you do not HAVE to buy a new MAC to run AutoCAD, you can get a new/used PC.

No, Acad r12 for Mac will not work on a newer mac system. Those systems were based on the PowerPC architecture and they will not work on the new Intel based X86 macs running OSX. Yes you will need to update your OSX to Snow Leopard. What are the specs for your mac? I am afraid that you are seeing the cash cow built into Apple's business model. You have a perfectly good system but Apple is forcing you to buy a new OS to run an app. I think OSX SL has to have a newer Intel Core2Duo. The good news is that OSX SL is only $30. Seems like the easiest answer.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/specs.html

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/index?siteID=123112&id=15435044

Check out the difference in the OSX SL specs and the AutoCAD for Mac specs!!! Wow!

No, Acad r12 for Mac will not work on a newer mac system. Those systems were based on the PowerPC architecture and they will not work on the new Intel based X86 macs running OSX. Yes you will need to update your OSX to Snow Leopard. What are the specs for your mac? I am afraid that you are seeing the cash cow built into Apple's business model. You have a perfectly good system but Apple is forcing you to buy a new OS to run an app. I think OSX SL has to have a newer Intel Core2Duo. The good news is that OSX SL is only $30. Seems like the easiest answer.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/specs.html

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/index?siteID=123112&id=15435044

Check out the difference in the OSX SL specs and the AutoCAD for Mac specs!!! Wow!

Wow! Thank you for your suggestion:)

My Macbook is Mac OS X x10.5.8 and has a 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, which already satisfied the system requirements for AutoCAD. But because My Macbook is 4.1 and AutoCAD requires Macbook 5.1, so I can't install it...

Just use AutoCad on the school labs. If a Professor is trying to teach you how to use it in a lecture with everyone trying to follow on laptops it is more trouble than it is worth.

Bottom line: You, the student, need to be using the same software as the other students are using and the one the professor is teaching. If the professor is using AutoCAD for Mac 2011 and you are running AutoCAD for Mac from 1993 there is going to be some major differences. You'll either get lost and/or get frustrated and then you'll get behind. If that's what you want then go right ahead and do it. It's your money (or your parents) not mine.

Just use AutoCad on the school labs. If a Professor is trying to teach you how to use it in a lecture with everyone trying to follow on laptops it is more trouble than it is worth.

But my department closed the lab :(

I really dont want to buy a PC labtop only for the use of AutoCAD

Humm, are you going to school for design? AutoCAD is the standard app to learn. I know that they have released an AutoCAD for Mac but it only has about 40% of the functionality of the PC version. It's not because they shorted it but because a lot of what Acad can do is based on the windows API. You can see a list on the Acad website.

You could always do the VMware or BootCamp method and use the PC version. Good luck and let us know how you get along.

@ f700es: Thanks for your suggestions. My mac satisfied all the system requirements for AutoCAD 2011 MAC version, it has Intel Core 2 Duo and is mac os x v10.5.8. But because its an old 2008 Macbook autodesk doesn't allow me to install it.

I'm a undergraduate and major in Landscape Architecture..

I think the best way to solve this problem is to have windows in Mac .. because some of the students did BootCamp and it works well so far. Or maybe its because they have MacPro..

@ReMark: I will definitely get the latest AutoCAD version.. so thanks for the advice

Thanks for all the advice!

@f700es: I'm currently an undergraduate and major in Landscape Architecture..I think the only way to solve the problem is either buy/ borrow a PC laptop or install windows on Mac :(

Anabel - I just want to let you know that your latest posts where not moderated for any particular reason. The first one was moderated since it contains links and it seems the system thinks that everything you post after that should be moderated too... just one of these things.

But my department closed the lab :(

I really dont want to buy a PC labtop only for the use of AutoCAD

? Are you saying your school expects you to learn a software program yet does not have that software installed on computers in a lab you can use? Seems unlikely/pretty poor if that is the case.

@ f700es: Thanks for your suggestions. My mac satisfied all the system requirements for AutoCAD 2011 MAC version, it has Intel Core 2 Duo and is mac os x v10.5.8. But because its an old 2008 Macbook autodesk doesn't allow me to install it.

I'm a undergraduate and major in Landscape Architecture..

I think the best way to solve this problem is to have windows in Mac .. because some of the students did BootCamp and it works well so far. Or maybe its because they have MacPro..

Is there no way to trick your Macbook into showing it's a newer model. Stupid Apple, this is a classic example of why I won't use their computers. There should be a way. I was able to trick OSX 10.4 to think my Dell was a Mac so tricking yours to show a 5.1 instead of a 4.1 should be doable. This is cheaper than buying ;) a copy of Windows for bootcamp.