Civil drafting school project help

Autocadstudent

Im currently on page 21-22 in civil drafting trying to plot section A and B but im so confuse with the instruction comparing to the example.just finished plotting the driveway profile. I hope you can help me with this.:

• For Section A, use a vertical scale of 1= 10 and a horizontal scale of 1= 60’. Show the stationing, however, in 50-foot increments. Thus, when plotting the drawing, the distance between Station 0 + 00 and Station 0 + 50 will be 5/6 of an inch.

1. Label the southern edge of Driveway and the northern edge of Driveway.

2. Use Layer Details with the appropriate hatch patterns to show the cut and/or fill in the cross section.

3. Technically, the culvert should also be in this section. However, it’s clearer to show the culvert in the driveway profile. Showing it in Section A might be more confusing than helpful. Thus, it’s best to omit that feature of the building from Section A.

For Section B, use a vertical scale of 1= 10 and a horizontal scale of 1= 60. Show the stationing, however, in 50-foot increments. Thus, when plotting the drawing, the distance between Station 0 + 00 and Station 0 + 50 will be 5/6of an inch.

Use Layer Details with the appropriate hatch patterns to show the cut and/or fill in the cross section.

Im working as finishing in a aerospace company here in montreal but 2 years ago I worked in a construction company(Civil Works) in my country. Its a very long story so to make it short i need a diploma here as well as i want to be more familiarize with CAD because i learned only basic command in AutoCAD, thats why i take the penn foster autocad course and someday i will apply this autocad course here in my company. Regarding computer only basic trouble shooting.

The instructions are asking the student to create an exaggerated grid to plot elevations for a section cut through the driveway. Why? If it were not done this way small changes in elevation would be difficult to see.

Although I have copies of the drawings done by another student I have never really gone through the project step-by-step. I will have to look at the instructions in further detail and compare them to the drawing I have in order to provide further information.

Post an image of what you have for Plate 2.

Edited by ReMark

Well I took a quick look at the instructions which, per Penn-Foster standards, are basically lacking much in the way of useful information. On one page they talk about a centerline profile for the new driveway then go on to mention the two cross-sections ("A" and "B").

Did you get any further handouts or PDF files with examples of centerline profiles or cross-sections?

A quick look at the image above leads me to believe there are some adjustments to the new contours to be made but without an actual DWG file it would be tough for me to elaborate further.

So far i have only 2 example here and need to be scan. Im also trying to search some example tru google.

I attached here also my actual drawing:thanks

Edited by ajae330

I would suggest you remove the DWG file as anyone who takes the course could download it and submit the drawing as their own.

I took a quick look at your drawing. When your new contours intersect with the old contours, adjacent to the new driveway, they should be rounded off. Something still does not look right with the contouring around the house however. I'll have to look back through the instructions and see wherein the problem lies.

Edited by ReMark

Ok noted and I update it my drawing.Remark can you please do me a favor. Can you please post me a zoom screenshot for the post #129 & #130 the bottom part of the image (section A & Section B) to understand it well.thanks

ajae:

In looking at the drawing you posted previously I noticed the following:

1. Your trees are on layer "0". Isn't there supposed to be a layer for trees that will remain? Shouldn't these trees be on that layer and not on layer "0"?

2. You have two trees, color yellow, each on a different layer. One tree is on layer "0" and the other is on layer "Defpoints". Shouldn't both of the trees be on the "Tree Remove" layer (color: yellow)?

3. Your new contours are on a layer called "Offset". Shouldn't these be on the layer "Contours"?

4. Shouldn't your driveway extend to the curb line of Ocean Avenue? You show a gap from where your driveway ends (at the R.O.W. line) and the curb.

5. The cul-de-sac at the end of the drive is on layer "Cutfill". Why isn't it on layer "Driveway"?

6. At the top of your drawing is a dashed yellow line. It is the layer "Contours" (color: yellow). Is this in fact an existing contour as well?

7. The contour interval numbers are on a layer called "Grid". Is that correct?

8. The culvert is on a layer called "Hidden" (color: red). Shouldn't it be on the layer "Culvert' (color: yellow)?

9. Your section lines and their callouts (A-3 and B-4) are on layer "Defpoints". That is a big mistake. Any objects on this layer will NOT print. I would create a layer for the section lines.

10. The section line A-4 is actually two lines not one. Why? It should be one continuous line.

11. I found art least two extraneous line segments in your drawing. One of them is white and on layer Defpoints while the other is green and on layer Cutfill (west of the house).

12. You have a dimension on the house of 42'. The text height is "7" while the remaining text associated with the house has a height of "6". Be consistent. Make it one height or the other.

13. All your centerline stationing is on layer "Defpoints". Once again, this is wrong. Move it to the correct layer.

Edited by ReMark

The more I look the more I find. Please correct the following.

1. Your benchmark symbol is not drawn correctly. It should be a circle divided into four quadrants with two diagonally opposed quadrants hatched using the ANSI31 hatch pattern at a scale of 2 and an angle of 45.

2. There is supposed to be a layer named "Border". I don't see it.

3. Your titleblock and border are on the "ROW" layer which is incorrect. They should be on the "Border" layer.

4. You have a layer named "Spot". This layer should have 12 rows of spot elevations (18 spot elevations per row). The layer appears to be empty. Where are all your spot elevations? Never mind. I think I know where they are. They are on Plate 1 is that correct?

5. Isn't your North arrow supposed to be on the layer named "Arrow"? It appears on layer "Text".

6. Re: The dimensions for Cedar Park Drive and the ROW. Normally, a dimension line will have an arrowhead. I see no arrowheads. Why? You do know that dimensions can be placed above a dimension line don't you? Yours break the line thus leaving no room for the insertion of arrowheads.

7. The instructions call for the creation of a layer named "Tree-Existing". I do not see that layer in your drawing. All your trees happen to be on layer "0" and color: red. Normally, the default color for layer "0" is white. The two trees in yellow, which are supposed to be trees that are being removed, are on layer "0" as well. Shouldn't these be on the "Trees Remove" layer?

8. There is one tree, that is to be removed, on layer "Details". Move the tree to the correct layer.

9. The Legend for "Tree Existing" and "Tree Remove" is sloppy. Fix it.

10. The title of your drawing is wrong. Please refer to page 17 of your instructions. No scale is listed in the titleblock where it should be noted (not under your North arrow). Is your scale of 1:100 because you used metric units?

11. You failed to indicate the area to be filled with the correct hatch pattern as called for on page 19 of the instructions which would be AR-SAND.

12. Some parts of your drawing have been hatched twice with the exact same pattern. This is not good drafting technique and should be fixed. Since you used the same hatch pattern each time it isn't noticeable until one starts moving or deleting hatching.

13. Why did you run the hatching through the house itself? I believe that is wrong. BTW, when I measured the house, I got the following dimensions for the four sides: 42.0010, 36.0020, 42.0068, and 35.9999. This tells me your house is not drawn correctly. The dimensions given were 42x36.

14. Where did you obtain your arc data from? It is not good drafting practice to have text written over the top of linework. That is a bad practice and makes the drawing appear sloppy. Pick a clear area to put your text in and if necessary use a leader to point to the the object the text pertains to.

15. Your section bubbles are more in line with those that would be used in an architecture drawing not a civil drawing. A "section" line should indicate the direction of the section cut.

16. You have extraneous layers in your drawing that are not called for in the instructions. Before submitting your drawing I would first try purging those layers. If that fails to work you may have to use the Layer Delete command. Are you familiar with either of these commands?

All-in-all if I were grading your drawing at this time you would not be getting high marks for certain aspects. Refer to the check list on page 22 and the grading criteria on page 23.

Edited by ReMark

ajae: What's up there dude? Did I scare you off with my critique? Have you made the corrections or not? If you are seeking a career in the CAD field you better get in the habit of doing things correctly otherwise you won't remain employed very long. Consider yourself lucky. At least I didn't hand you a pink slip and show you the door.

Distinguish yourself from the crowd by doing good, error-free work, and you will reap benefits in any field you work in.

No im not scared...lol. Im too busy at work need more time to finish all the correction.Im not too familiar to layer delete command but i will try it...thanks ReMark Im still at your class...lol...

You're tougher than I thought. LoL

The Layer Delete command can be accessed via the command line by typing LAYDEL or via the drop-down menu under FORMAT > LAYER TOOLS.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I need your help to understand about this project .Please send me some suggestion to about how to start this project. any sketch or Image about plate 1 please post it so i can get idea.

Thank you

The Penn-Foster civil project has been the topic of at least two different threads. I suggest you find those threads and read through them. The threads contain images of the four plates that are required. Pay particular attention to any post by forum member Car5858. Not only did he take the course he got a grade of "A".

Hi car5858,

I need help in my civil drafting project for penn foster.

please can you guide me in this project ?

I am mechanical engineer so it is very hard for me to understand this civil project.

honestly i am very confuge how to draw this project .

if possible so please guide me in detail and if you have any image about plate -1 so please post it. it is easy to understand form Image.

please help me in this project

Thank you

The last post by Car5858 was December, 2011. Seems he hasn't been around much lately so I don't know what the chances are you'll be hearing from him.

I'm pretty sure there is at least one image from Plate 1 of the civil project contained within one of the threads about the subject. Take a look around.

What exactly seems to be the problem?

"Contour interval is the actual change in elevation represented by the space between two adjacent topographic "rings"."

The contour interval on Plate 1 of the civil project is 10 feet. That's why you see contours labeled 160, 170, 180 and 190, etc.