Civil drafting school project help

Autocadstudent

Car5858, I was trying to figure out the plate 3 that was posted previously. I have been trying to figure out the top of my scaled drawing but I going blank like all the others...lol.

Could you repost the screen shot, but this time only of the top section so that I can figure it out and make sense of what I am looking for. I am trying to imagine the profile of the road, almost like a cut through section or a slice of cake. My only problem is figuring out from which angle. I think that previously my 185' of road according to instructions might be wrong and I have read several posts about this, but I am going to follow the project instructions and leave it like that.

Congrats on your 92 for the exam.

First, remember that the HORIZONTAL SCALE 1" = 60'. this causes the driveway to appear shorter than it is. As you look at the south side of the 185' section, this is the centerline vertical section that you want to draw. Also the curve in the driveway curve away from you distorting the total actual length. BTW I got that grade in 2009, mainly because I forgot to add slope arrows. Also the Cut fill was in the wrong location (I corrected the drawing after I got the grade).

It all comes down to reading and understanding the instructions. I think that slope arrows was mentioned once but I had missed it.

PF plate 3 driveway cross section.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

The first thing you have to do is read through all the instructions. Have you at least done that yet?

Isn't Plate 1 of the Civil Project a grid with contours shown on it? I believe you first place your spot elevations then you interpolate your contours.

Refer to post #2 and post #6 for an image of the grid and benchmark layout.

Edited by ReMark

Pages 8 thru 14 cover the grid and the placement of the benchmark and spot elevations.

First though, have you drawn your title block and border?

Two other posts that will come in handy when you get into the project are #22 and #24. Post #24 covers interpolation of contours. This is VERY important. Mess up on your contours and you might as well change careers.

• 2 months later...

I am on the same drawing but at the end i don't understand how to draw the property line curves numbers 4,5, and 10. How do you draw this: From where you left off, draw a 144.32' segment in a counterclockwise direction around the culdesac. Show the delta angle, the length, and the radius of this curve.

This is about plotting property boundaries on a contour elevation map. how do you draw a curve that is 144.32' long?

OK THANKS MARK, JUST didn't know how to draw a curve with a total length line instead of radius. Figured it out that the property line butts up against the row of ocean ave. done with plate 1 off to plate 2.

I know that this has been mentioned before, but the responses were very vague, but on Plate 2 Civil, how does one figure out how to begin to do this: Ms. Capitano decides to keep the driveway and the house level at elevation 180. Her surverying company recommends an angle of repose of 1.5:1. Draw the driveway layout cut and fill in the lower-left corner of your drawing. Use the information listed here to show the new contours on both sides of the driveway.

1. Use Layer Offset and Layer Cutfill

2. Indicate the area to be cut using ANSI31 hatch pattern aat scale 25and angle45. Indicate the area to be filled using the AR-SAND hatch pattern at scale 5. Draw the hatching on Layer Details.

The surveying company recommended an angle of repose of 1:1 for the residence site. The slope around the residence begins 10 feet away from the footprint.

Indicate two sections taken from this drawing.

1. Section A is perpendicular to the centerline of the driveway at Station 2 +20 and points in a westerly direction. Indicate that this section is on Plate 3.

2. Section B is perpendicular to the long sides of the residence approximately halfway between the easternmost side of the house and the westernmost side. Indicate that this section is on Plate 4.

Ok first off, what is an angle of repose and how does it relate to this drawing.? Second how do you draw the cut and fill with no points for contours? Where is station 2+20? There has been no mention of it throughout the drawing. What are these sections looking at exactly?

Thanks for the help!

HELP, I need the procedure for drawing these contours for cut and fill. I looked at that screen shot and don't know how to get those arcs for the contour lines. I understand the concept of cut anything above the 180 line and filling anything below 180 line. Are the contours restricted to just the driveway boundary and the footprint boundary? Please help, there are no directions in the project booklet or the study guide.

Thanks

I could Mark, but the excerpt with which I need help is taken word for word in post 93. I have looked at the screenshot on pg 6 of this thread and don't know how all of those contours for the cut and fill were plotted. They seem to have arcs around the culvert and there are no instructions for drawing the contours away from the driveway that far.

HELP PLATE 3. I understand the concept with transferring the elevations to profile, but it is not looking like car5858 screenshot at all. Do you just transfer the centerline of the driveway or both sides of the driveway? How do you draw the culvert? What is the difference between the driveway profile and section A?

randy, first think what the culvert looks like from a top view. Then think about what it will look like from the side. Ask yourself some questions; 1 how long is the culvert? what is the elevation of the culvert at both end locations? What would a culvert pipe look like standing at one end? What would this end look like if the opposite end from your position were to be raised?

Answer the culvert would look like an ellipse.

It is also cut at the section line, so the elevation of the ellipse will be slightly higher than the end that you are looking at.

As for transferring the elevations, did you remember to assign the correct scale to the elevation? Since the elevation and horizontal scales are different it appears different than when drawn at 1;1.

Yes the scale is correct. The right side looks fine because you end at the center of culdesac, but the left side does not look like yours. It may be because I am not starting the transfer of contours on the left the correct way. I started transferring points on the left where the centerline of the driveway intersects with the 180 elevation. Is this correct? Also, I don't understand if the culvert is transferred with the existing elevations or does it run horizontal to the 180 elevation directly under the driveway. Your screenshot car is somewhat blurry when zoomed in and i can't exactly make it out. Im sure that I would be able to understand it if i could see all of the text and elevations. Also, what is section B looking at? I would appreciate your help!

Thanks

Yes the scale is correct. The right side looks fine because you end at the center of culdesac, but the left side does not look like yours. It may be because I am not starting the transfer of contours on the left the correct way. I started transferring points on the left where the centerline of the driveway intersects with the 180 elevation. Is this correct?

Read through the instructions again. I think that you missed the starting point on the left. You will have to start at the ROW of the cul-de-sac.

PF Civ plate 3 driveway cut fill section.jpg

Also, I don't understand if the culvert is transferred with the existing elevations or does it run horizontal to the 180 elevation directly under the driveway. Your screenshot car is somewhat blurry when zoomed in and i can't exactly make it out. Im sure that I would be able to understand it if i could see all of the text and elevations. Also, what is section B looking at? I would appreciate your help!

Thanks

This is an enlarged section showing the culvert. Remember that the section line is running down the centerline of the driveway. Looking at the top view of the driveway, you can compare the elevations of the culvert. Remember that the culvert extends past the fill area.

Hope these help

PF Civ plate 3 culvert cross section.jpg