USing Defpoints layer and viewpoints

alisonn

Hello

I use previous drawings to continue with new jobs.

so... I started to use defpoints as the layer for the the viewing window. This is so it doesn''t print out. However to make new sheets I copy and paste new sheets. The problem is I cannot delete the viewpoints as it in Defpoints and becomes invisible in Paper space. How can I delete one window?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alisonn

• ReMark

• nestly

• Tiger

Top Posters In This Topic

Using the Defpoints layer to "hide" objects we don't want printed is an old trick that should now be abandoned. You should be creating a layer specifically for your Viewports and setting that layer to "No print" in your Layer Properties Manager.

You want to delete a viewport that is on the Defpoints layer?

Hi RE MARK

Thanks for replying to me by the way.

I read it that it was a good idea to us defpoints as your viewport so it wouldnt print out but once done you cannot delete them as there is no way to access and grab hold of the line- it is invisible!

no i didnt know that once you add a dimension to the drawing it will be created.

But I was just reading about it in your threads now .

The problem with a viewport on Defpoints not being selectable is a known problem. The simple answer is don't do it. Like ReMark said, create a layer named Viewport and set it to non-plot. Defpoints will always be present, that is just the way it is.

And in this case, to solve this drawing, I would simply delete that file and start a new one.

You may not be able to select and delete the viewport because layer "0" is frozen. Is it?

BTW...I just verified this using AutoCAD 2010.

Yes it is not a solvable because I wont be able to get rid of the drawing in the window unless i place the window over an area that has no drawing in it in Model Space ( and try never to use this file again) .Make a new layer called View port and hope that the two windows do not conflict with each other. by either stoping the new window with its contents from being viewed in paper space or when printed out later.

Many Thanks for the suggestions.

Yeah, post the drawing, however if the issue is simply with a stubborn viewport, I don't see the need to restart the drawing, just re-create the viewport(s) on a new layout tab, and then delete the troublesome layout.

I could nt send the file- the file is 2500 MB and it said it was too large to send, other than by return of email. Not sure if that was the right thing to do?

Is your problem with a "viewpoint" or a "viewport" ?

Assuming it's a viewport, here's a quick video showing how to create/copy layouts, and how to control viewport visibility in Paperspace.

http://www.screencast.com/t/kw1L0hLxSol

If you still want to upload the file, delete everything except a few objects and "SaveAs" another filename. (Please don't delete the objects in your original drawing.)