Template setup...

spittle

I'm new to MEP and am seting up our styles and template.

How have you set up the way the software generates 2D linework?

Do you tend to derive linework properties from section styles, Element styles, or materials?

I'm trying to derive from material styles - I've not worked out how to do it yet though! I've set up my material but my sections are still displaying as per "edit object display"...

Well, Material Styles can be tricky. It depends on exactly what you're aiming for, not to mention what type of material you're working with. With materials, I think you mean objects. When you say "Materials" I'm thinking raster images for rendering.

There are endless ways to use tricks and procedures to generate what is to represent "2D Linework". My first question is, what will you be using MEP for? Piping, Plumbing, HVAC, or Electrical?

As far as sections, that's pretty easy. You simply create a Section Line or Elevation Line, and generate a 2D view from the section line and select the objects you want viewed.

I will be producing construction drawings for the water treatment industry. This will include concrete structures, pipework, pumps etc.

My first job is of a pumping station, an existing 3D model has been supplied by a laser scanning contractor so walls and floors are not exactly straight.

They've supplied pipework in MEP, the rest is in 3D solids. I've scapped the materials idea - this was add a meterial within the element properties - inside the material you can edit linework.

Anyway - I'm back to using 'by layer' for each object.

One problem I'm having is lines being missing.

And should shrinkwrap be on? Although it looks better when on - I loose control over my 3D objects i.e. shrinkwrap ignores the layers that my 3D objects are on.

For the proposed work I will be adding support steelwork for the pipework, penstocks, new pipework, benching etc. It would be good to establish the right approach early on...

I'm still confused to the "Add Material within the Element Properties". Where are you going to get this? I was thinking you were talking about Revit MEP but then you mention Shrinkwrapping and that is in AutoCAD MEP.

If you right click a mass element, edit mass element style, materials tab, edit, then add your linework and hatch defenition here...

And you're right, I'm using Autocad MEP.

Ah, makes sense now.

Don't use the Material tab. You want to be using the Display Properties tab. From there you can edit your Display Properties. I would say that you will want to get out of the habit of using Mass Elements. Use MVPARTS instead. You can convert any 3D object or 3D block by using the MVPARTCONVERT tool.

Do you ever use regualr 3D Solids?

I have some complex benching / baffle walls that are subject to change, this is one of the entities that does not diplay properly i.e. missing lines

I only use 3D Solids when I have to create something that the default stock AutoCAD catalog of parts doesn't offer. There is a ton of tools and parts that can be used, including a structural catalog, joist catalog, and other miscellaneous things. Plus, AutoCAD MEP is built on top of the AutoCAD Architecture platform so you gain access to all of their catalogs and parts as well, such as Walls, Slabs, Roofs, etc.

But when I do have to create something, when I'm finished I make it into a MvPart so that when I use sections and elevations, it take take on the Display Properties settings, helping the 2D visual control of the linework.

It's just when a sturcture doesn't fit the format of a regular, slab and walls arrangment that I'm trying to think of other methods - hence why I tried mass elements.

Don't suppose you're any good with pipe fittings?

There are tools to edit slabs, walls, structures, etc... just gotta dig in and check them all out. A lot is possible with the tools available via right-clicking. ;)

And yes, I'm a mechanical piping and HVAC designer so I know quite a bit about them. Shoot with any Q's you got.