Using dwg to create 3d models in inventor

cameroon95

Hi guys,

iv been asked to learn how to create a 3d model from dwg files that I have.

Iv been asked to do this in inventor.

I was wondering if you guys could give me a good guide on the best way to do this??

My way of intial thinking was to import the dwg files straight into max and do some lines "upwards"(if you get what i mean) and build the model using the side, front and bottom dwg files.

Thing is unlike skecthup, iv noticed that you can't try on a different axis in inventor,correct me if im wrong.

Would I be better just to redraw the original dwg, using its measurements etc and then to extrude and modify from there?

cheers guys:)

im confused, you mentioned wanting to do this in inventor, but then also mention importing into max?

In inventor when you are in a sketch there is a button to import a dwg file. I havent gotten this to work for me(i think its a directory problem with my file locations) but you can technically import a dwg into your sketch.

Sorry buddy, I ment inventor!! I use max all the time and it must have just slipped out.

You are correct about importing the dwg as a sketch, it has worked for me.

The thing I have a problem with is taking this sketch and making it 3d, Im not sure how to go about doing this?

For example, I have 4 dwg files of an object, one for each side and top and bottom.

I want to be able to use these sketches and build up from them, if you know what i mean? Bear in mind that these dwgs have no measurements on them. Hence why I do not what to just redraw everything.

I am probably wrong, but from what i understand bringing dwgs in are only for reference purposes. I do not think inventor 11 or prior versions can use the data. Now inventor 09 is supposed to be better for work flow integration with dwg files but i havent used that yet.

as far as the actual procedure. You can loft between your bottom and top faces of your sketch but i do not know if you can use the "walls" of your object as a reference for guides. Everytime i have tried working between the two softwares the only transfer of data has been 2d.

When you are working with inventor(sorry if this is something you already know) everything will be based off your sketch plane. Initially you start out with a sketch, draw something and Finish Sketch. This will then give you the ability to take your 2d poly and perform operations such as extrude or revolve(or others). This is how you create your solids. From there you can create additional work planes or select existing faces or edges of your new solid to create sketchs you wish to add, subtract or intersect. I put as much info in the orig. sketch as possible but will usually end up with several sketchs defining a feature.

Whenever i need to recreate something in Inventor that I have modeled in cad i will bring both up on the screen and dimension the cad drawing and just start from scratch in inventor,

sorry

No need to apolgise, I appreciate you trying to help me!

What im trying to do now, is to simply extrude my 2d drawing into a 3d model.

Lift directly up from the drawing.

The problem im having is that when I go to the extrude option, it says that there are no closed edges on the part of my model that im trying to extrude.

I was wondering if there are any options in the import of the dwg or any methods that allow me to simply take the existing model sections and extrude them into 3d?

cheers guys

• 2 weeks later...

You can extrude a copy of a .dwg file in Inventor. However the cad file imported is only a reference.

Here's how I've been successful at working with imported dwgs.

First make a new sketch plane parallel to the one you want your 3D sketch to be on (use shortcut ]). The offset can be anything.

Now import your cad sketch onto that plane and if necessary move it to the location you want it to be at.

Close that sketch and open the other sketch plane that you want your 3d object to be on. Now Project the cad lines onto this sketch plane and copy over the lines and curves (AI will snap to them). You can now extrude this copy.

project-tmp.jpg

hey bikeguy, do you happen to know if this is an inventor 08-09 thing of it worked on previous versions as well? my 10 and 11 dont like what you mentioned but it may be an unrelated problem is why i ask.

my computer wont let me import any dwg files into sketches. It always gives me an error saying it may be open or used by another program but it never is. Not really a big deal for me, ive only tried it for reference purposes.

You'd be better off just starting new in Inventor. Unless you have a solid in AutoCAD.... then you can export the dwg as a .stp file. Then you can open the .stp file in Inventor.

Basically what you've done then is just bring in a dumb solid. Which is just fine unless you need or want to make modifications or manipulate the part.