Export to .wmf???

Edward Teller

Have spent hours & searched site without success. So......

drawing created, set image in perspective, hide, used 3dOrbit to position and so forth to what wanted. Then create new layout which shows just fine. BUT can't "select" anything to export from layout. If try to export directly from drawing sheet it exports hidden lines and is white on black (which don't need or want in an advertising image).

I KNOW this can be done since I did it 10 years ago, got nice clean images (for a number of products I sell) as *.wmf files that I have been using since then. But, have lost some of images and having a problem updating my company catalog (but need to recall how to do this as may need different drawings in the future-I did it before).

Have read mentions here of JPGOUT command but that doesn't work on my AutoCAD 2000. Solution would be MOST appreciated. What have I forgotten???

Thank you.

Hi Edward, you can always setup a printer to print to WMF. You go into the add printer wizard and select an Adobe Post-Script level 2 as your plotter and set it for plot-to-file. This way you can set it to plot with plot styles and hidden if needed. Good luck.

F7

Oops, my bad this plots to an .eps file. It's still a vector file. Will this still work?

If you are selecting from layout tab to an object in Model, you need to activate the viewport. Just double-click inside the viewport, you should then be able to select the object.

Nope. Can export directly to an EPS file - tried that before posting - (which can't be read by Gimp because it can't find ghostwriter, but Scribus can/does open an EPS file). Problem is getting the export (or can plot to an *.EPS file as you suggested, which I tried) to export the image (with hidden lines set on). It simply doesn't export the window/display/etc. I can export to a PLT file, but have no software to open and manipulate the image. It's very frustrating since I know I was doing this 10 years ago - I just "forgits" it in my old age and approaching senility.

I suspect some setting within AutoCAD is the problem (but obviously don't know which one). As you can tell, I haven't used AutoCAD for some years for this purpose. Mainly 2-D stuff laying out my property, etc.

Exporting as bitmap - same problem. How to get a screen display/window/layout that is exactly what I need out of AutoCAD and into an image file that I can use/manipulate/crop etc to stick in other documents?

Perhaps you can think of some setting that's causing the problem - something probably so simple I have walked right past it 100 times (well, maybe not 100, but certainly 50)???

SLW21l - yes, can select from viewport?/layout as you suggest. Unfortunately it is still "selecting" all drawing objects and the export doesn't hide them (the display is fine tho). I strongly suspect the same result if re-try earlier suggestion to plot to an ESP file - but will do so. As mentioned, since I was doing this 10 years ago (with just results I needed) I suspect it is some setting (or something similar) that I am continually walking right past. But what do I know.

A few points about WMF exports.

I thought that the WMF created a vector file, so I am not sure how it copes with solid areas of colour.

I think of the export as a screen grab, so zoom in so that your required image fills the screen (I don't know whether this works in a layout viewport, I usually work from Model Space).

The system variable WMFBKGND defaults to ON in r2000, so you have to set it to OFF every time. You cannot save it as OFF.

If an image file will do, would a “Print Screen” screen capture work. It is somewhat limited in DPI but it would represent a model with hidden lines removed.

I was able to get a good vector representation with the proper hidden lines but it required a two step process. I already have a DXB plotter set up (it can be added via the Platter Manager) and assigned it to the Page Setup of a layout. Plotting that creates a file (.dxb) that can be imported back into a different layout for use with the WMFOUT command. See the attached plot of Autodesk’s 3D House.DWG

House.zip

Eureka! Thanks to everybody who replied. Now have problem in hand. Solution (for me) was:

1) Plot to file using previously suggested device Postscript Level 2 dc 3.

2) Plot window only in plot dialog - don't try to "select" what to plot as hidden lines not removed. Set hide on in plot dialog.

3) EPS file that comes out is exactly what is needed.

4) In my case had to get GIMP to recognize Ghostwriter by setting an environmental variable. Can now edit EPS image.

5) dpi is a little coarse but usable.

6) export command doesn't seem to allow for a "window" export (but could be missing something).

Anyway, above worked. Am pretty sure this was not the way was doing it 10 years ago, but this will work. Many thanks for help. (seant - downloaded your file & will check it out)

If someone moderating please show thread as a "solved" problem.

Glad you got a solution going Edward but I am confused about using a vector file (wmf, eps etc.) in GIMP. If GIMP was to be the final step why not plot out your image as a raster file (jpg, png, etc..)? Oh well we all have our own needs and madness ;)

Care to share a pic of your output? It's all ways cool to see how people are using AutoCAD, outside of the normal usages.

Cheers :)

Sean

Glad you got a solution going Edward but I am confused about using a vector file (wmf, eps etc.) in GIMP. If GIMP was to be the final step why not plot out your image as a raster file (jpg, png, etc..)? Oh well we all have our own needs and madness ;)

Final objective is small printed booklet/catalog and for uploading to my website. GIMP merely for editing/cropping. AutoCAD for creation of geometry. Originally in r13 or r10 (can't recall). r20000 doesn't offer option of exporting to jpg or png. Am changing catalog from MS Publisher have been using for 10 years to Scribus - a much more competent application. Hence the issue of misplaced wfm files. Still have dwg of course.

Care to share a pic of your output? It's all ways cool to see how people are using AutoCAD, outside of the normal usages.

Of course. Will try to upload image of final png file.Again, thanks for help. Ummm. creation of geometry for objects to be used in all kinds of ways seem like a "normal" use to me.AutoCAD great application - can 3dOrbit to view in all ways, etc. etc. etc. First use was (if my failing memory hasn't completely collapsed) r2.5 or r2.6. Remember the manual was a hardback book!!!

ENTOMB-modi-Model.jpg

ENTOMB.dwg