AutoCAD MEP - Parametric pipe fittings

spittle

I've made a flange to use a a connector.

I'm wondering if I can use this flange for all of the flanges on my piep fittings?

So all elbows, tees, valves etc that are flange will select this automatically. Or should I stick to defining the flange in every single part?

Did you create a flange because you could not find the stock catalog to have the type of flanges that you needed? Are you designing steel pipe?

There are settings where ever fitting, tee, elbow, valves, etc will put a flanged connector automatically for you. Is this all you're needing?

I edited one of the PN16 stock flanges to suit the exact dims of our manufacturer, and I added all of the sizes from 80mm up to 1600mm. I've also edited a tube with the correct sizes.

These parts I've added to a..... parts list/style/what ever it's called

Now I'm onto the elbow - I see already there's no straight after the arc which I will have to create. So my thinking is I'll have to manually define every single flange for all flanged fittings unless I can work out how I can use the one I've already done...

If you think editting each part is the way to go then I'll adopt that - I had a days training last Friday and that's all my experience in AutoCAD MEP...

Note: I'm creating sizes to suit ductile iron.

I've screwed up something....

Can someone tell me how to take a part that was create, working, and validated in part builder and re-add it to my catalogue, and get a new XML file etc.

I keep getting error messages.

I've screwed up something....

Can someone tell me how to take a part that was create, working, and validated in part builder and re-add it to my catalogue, and get a new XML file etc.

I keep getting error messages.

I've been crash coursing the parametric modeler [component builder]

the best method is to open the part as if you are going to modify it,, then hit the second button from the left and "Save As"

If you need to you can create a new chapter and or sub-chapters. Then you can modify to your hearts content.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20790817/SAVE_AS.pdf

Thanks, I learnt that the hard way! I managed to suss it at the end of yesterday, I had made a mess and then deleted the old files including the XML!

So say you wanted to create a parts library from scratch - what would your workflow be. To include Content builder, catalogue editor, and Style manager. And can you suggest at what stage(s) you need to regenerate (or words to that effect) you library.

I screwed my new part up several times when the regen deleted all of the additional values I added to the table.

And another question - how can you add to the table via say Excel, I could then copy whole columns and paste.

edit... and how would you go about sharing a parts library with other users. I think initially everyone will store on their C drive to avoid potential of non familiar users making edits.

Edited by spittle

I start a new file in AMEP

Then I open the content builder...

Set the part type I want to create from the "Part Domain"

then click on the folder I want to create in

If I want a subfolder I add a chapter to that folder then create a new part.

If I don't have a personal catalog created.. I have to create one first and then do the steps above.

There is an awesome whitepaper called .... err.. I'll just post a link

for creating your on catalog there are steps in the last like 4 pages

It is not intuative, but it does work.. without the white paper I would never have gotten it...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20790817/content%20builder_SW.pdf

This white paper saved half my head of hair.. the other half I've been pulling out steady for the last weak :)

I have had to create my own pipe like you mentioned above.. the catalog does not have DR 14 PVC pipe or the hub that goes with it.. had a fun time creating both.

back to content creation....

once I'm in the content bulder and i have the part 80% completed... I save the part and attempt to insert it in the drawing I have open.

I try to test all the sizes to make sure it's changing correctly via the parameters I have set up... if all goes well I open it in the part viewer and save a nicer JPG of the part.. reopen it in the content builder and add my final touches.. such as the image and custom tags like DFTBY "Drafted By" and DFTDT "Drafted Date" along with manufacurer's web info and catalog info... I don't like to add these till I'm 100% sure the part is ready .. this reminds me when I view the part in the catalog.. if I don't see a DFTBY or DFTDT on the custom parts I know it's not ready. Also if you have multiple people in your department.. and they are making the same modeling mistakes over and over.. you can teach them the "right" way to model a part or set parameters.

I didn't mention this befor, but every time I save a part,, befor i test it I shut down AMEP and restart it.... that way I know the catalog is 100% regenerated, and I'm starting with a fresh drawing with no parts in it.

I have learned the hard way that it takes longer to restart, but I am then confident that I'm not dealing with strange artifacts left in the drawing from the last attempt..

If you modify a part that is in an open drawing you should be able to "Regenerate From Catalog" and update the part in the drawing, but to be honest.. i'm having issues with that now...

see my most recent post outside this thread.

hope this helps.. I'll be on again in the morning to see how your doing.