Back Drafting Color Codes

aeroCAD

Hi Everyone,

Can anyone please assist me in determining a standard color code for back drafting, am currently a structural drafter in Australia and would like to know about the color coding, if there is any. e.g when mark ups returns from the engineer i normally use "green text liner" to indicate the changes been done, a "pink text liner" for further back drafting......and so on.

The standard I'm familiar with is when you redline/check a drawing. Red is for additions, green is for deletes, and blue are notes not to be incorporated.

When it comes to highlighting the back draft I think it is whatever makes sense to you as long and everyone in on board and knows what the highlighted colors mean.

The way I self check a set of drawings is to wait until I have done the revisions, print a copy and compare it one to one against the original markup. Then I highlight in yellow as I verify each change. Sometimes if you highlight as you go you can get distracted and miss something. That way I know for sure that I have gotten ALL the markups. I'm good, but occasionally I miss something, and I have found that to be the best way to check my self.

thank you, i guess its one own preference, but sometimes working as team some cadies tend to have different color coding, as this creates confusion if he uses a different color for checking, i just thot there might be some sort of standard, otherwise thanks again for the tip

The way I self check a set of drawings is to wait until I have done the revisions, print a copy and compare it one to one against the original markup. Then I highlight in yellow as I verify each change. Sometimes if you highlight as you go you can get distracted and miss something. That way I know for sure that I have gotten ALL the markups. I'm good, but occasionally I miss something, and I have found that to be the best way to check my self.

This is the way I have always done it also.

• 2 months later...

after some 30 odd years in the drafting game, the most common (by far) checking colour scheme I have used is:

Yellow highlight: correct

Red pen: additions/corrections

Blue highlight: deletions

pencil or black pen: comments/instructions/clarifications (not to be drafted)

Green highlight: back-drafted

Orange highlight: back-checked

thanks PiperBlue,...just needed some confirmation on the colour coding for clarity....its similar to what i have, just a little addition to it

Most of your information needs to be communicated with appropriate notation. Color Coding should only be used as a guide. There is a portion of the population with some form of color-blindness.

Design implications of color blindness

Color codes present particular problems for those with color deficiences as they are often difficult or impossible for them to perceive.

Good graphic design avoids using color coding or using color contrasts alone to express information; this not only helps color blind people, but also aids understanding by normally sighted people.

Designers need to take into account that color-blindness is highly sensitive to differences in material. For example, a red–green colorblind person who is incapable of distinguishing colors on a map printed on paper may have no such difficulty when viewing the map on a computer screen or television. In addition, some color blind people find it easier to distinguish problem colors on artificial materials, such as plastic or in acrylic paints, than on natural materials, such as paper or wood. Third, for some color blind people, color can only be distinguished if there is a sufficient "mass" of color: thin lines might appear black while a thicker line of the same color can be perceived as having color.

thanks SLW210,

wasnt aware of that as i just started using these color codes but will take that into consideration...

Most of your information needs to be communicated with appropriate notation. Color Coding should only be used as a guide. There is a portion of the population with some form of color-blindness.

Anyone working closely together (and using color coding back drafting) should know if the other is colorblind though...

Anyone working closely together (and using color coding back drafting) should know if the other is colorblind though...

1. Standard color coding practice is to also use good notation to allow for color blindness.

2. Yesterday I had Joe looking over the drawing (he is not color blind), but today I have John (he is color blind).

3. Unless tested, many never know they are color blind.

4. Many times I never had a clue who was looking over my notation.

Have you ever looked at something and called it green and someone else said it looked blue? Some color blindness they can see colors on a computer screen, but not on paper.

Electricians and Electrical Engineers are not SUPPOSED to be color blind. Same for Pilots and some more occupations.