Revit Architecture 2012 new install won't open anything.

Dana W

Last night at about 11:45 EDT I finished up installing Revit Architecture 2012 trial version. (Yes, :o I realize I have already lost a full day of the trial period by installing it that close to midnight).

Revit splashes, and opens up ready for business, but....

My issue is that it will not open any of the preloaded sample files, or anything else. All it will do is go into "Program not responding" mode, and after about 15 minutes of tedious waiting I open Task manager in order to kill it. Sometimes even the Windows red "X" button is dead. No error messages were encountered during the install process nor are there any during the attempts to open a file. Windows tells me it can't find a solution either(like it ever does).

This happens whether I click one of the preloaded "Recent Files" icons, click a file from the Open dialog, or double click from the Windows file tree. These are all Revit compatible file extensions. I am not trying to open any other AutoCAD file type.

I have searched both Autodesk and this site's knowledge base and have not found a resolution that seems to exactly fit this. I have found a couple of instances of this happening with the 2011 release but the solutions were mostly "Cheez, I figured it out myself." with no explanation.

One solution was that the 2011 version came with the wrong port numbers default coded in a place I could not find in my version. Most of my menu and ribbon items remain greyed out since there is nothing open yet so I can't move around in the progam at all.

Does anyone have an idea what might be going on. I have tried the usual stuff, Virus scan, reboot, bumping up the task priority, etc. I have not tried a clean uninstall and re-download/install.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dana W

• Lee Roy

• Jack_O'neill

• Organic

I recently installed the Revit 2012 trial on a Windows 7 64bit machine to have a look at it and had no problems in opening the sample projects that came with it. I assume your computer does meet the minimum system requirement etc?

I recently installed the Revit 2012 trial on a Windows 7 64bit machine to have a look at it and had no problems in opening the sample projects that came with it. I assume your computer does meet the minimum system requirement etc?

Well, Dink. Hows come somebody always has to ask that. :wink: You were assuming wrong.:lol:

I just double checked that out. I thought I was compatible but turns out I am not 100% up to snuff.

I only have a 2.4 gig processor and revit supposedly needs a 3.0 or better.:cry: All my other specs are more than adequate. Would that not just make it a little slower?

I looked at processor usage and revit is sitting at about 43% trying to load a file right now. It still should be able to do it, just not very fast, right?

What could possibly be in that basic project that won't fit into 2.4 gig of cpu?

Is there an issue with some anti-virus software? I have Trend Platinum and I installed with it turned completely off. The Anti-virus program doesn't use a whole lot of cpu constantly but it takes big ocasional bites so I tried revit with it turned off :huh:with no change.

Your graphics card, you're running a GeForce. Those are gaming gpu's. You should look into something like a NVidia Quadro or ATI Fire...workstation gpu's.

There's another trick, it takes the Quadro drivers and loads them to the GeForce gpu. It's not as good as a Quadro outright (about 250% better than a GeForce), but it is about a 50% all-around increase over stock.

Your graphics card, you're running a GeForce. Those are gaming gpu's. You should look into something like a NVidia Quadro or ATI Fire...workstation gpu's.

There's another trick, it takes the Quadro drivers and loads them to the GeForce gpu. It's not as good as a Quadro outright (about 250% better than a GeForce), but it is about a 50% all-around increase over stock.

You could always use this one: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6809990&Sku=P56-6700 It's only $3800!

On a serious note, I use a GForce card, can't say as I've ever had any problems with it, but I've never tried to load the newer software. I have Revit 2009, and Autocad 2010.

yeabut, Today Only I could get 10 bucks off.:lol:

You better jump on that, these days it is tough to pass on $10 off. :shock:

You have more than enough computer to run 2012 Revit Arch on XP, maybe you can load it up.

All kidding aside, I wonder why the big jump in clockspeed from XP to Vista and 7.

For 32-Bit Autodesk Revit Architecture 2012

Microsoft® Windows® 7 32-bit Enterprise, Ultimate, Professional, or Home Premium edition, Microsoft® Windows Vista® 32-bit (SP2 or later) Enterprise, Ultimate, Business, or Home Premium edition, or Microsoft® Windows® XP (SP2 or later) Professional or Home edition*

For Microsoft Windows 7 32-bit or Microsoft Windows Vista 32-bit: Intel® Pentium® 4 or AMD Athlon™ dual core processor, 3.0 GHz (or higher) with SSE2 technology

For Microsoft Windows XP: Intel Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon dual core, 1.6 GHz (or higher) with SSE2 technology

All kidding aside, I wonder why the big jump in clockspeed from XP to Vista and 7.

Yet one more reason to stay on XP!!

You better jump on that, these days it is tough to pass on $10 off. :shock:

I wuz gonna but from the picture, it looks like I really will have to cut a hole in the side of my computer. I wonder if that same place sells a sawzall?

You have more than enough computer to run 2012 Revit Arch on XP, maybe you can load it up.

S'what I thought when I downloaded the thing in the first place. Has to be another issue. I have run full AutoCAD 2010 trial in 3D with no issues on this machine. No. Wait. XP? I read that wrong. I do have a copy of XP around here someplace..... Maybe I can run a dual OS.:roll::ouch::?

You could always use this one: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6809990&Sku=P56-6700 It's only $3800!

On a serious note' date=' I use a GForce card, can't say as I've ever had any problems with it, but I've never tried to load the newer software. I have Revit 2009, and Autocad 2010.[/quote']

My 250% figure is comparing a Quadro FX 700 to a GeForce 8800 GTX. I've went from a GeForce (forgot which one) to a Quadro FX 1700, to an FX 1500. From the GeForce to the Quadro was a MASSIVE improvement alone. Even though NVidia is better than ATI, the Fire GL cards are leaps and bounds over the GeForce as well. If you can at all find one for a decent price, even an older one, do it. I'd love a Quadro 4000, but $$ says to stay at the FX1500.

Revit MEP 2012 bogs my computer pretty heavily. I could see Revit Arch 2012 locking up if your computer isn't up to snuff. (I miss RAC, so much more fun than RMEP)

I've abandoned the whole idea of trying to get this trial version to run for the moment. My reason for downloading it in the first place does not balance with the time I have consumed so far for nothing.

I've abandoned the whole idea of trying to get this trial version to run for the moment. My reason for downloading it in the first place does not balance with the time I have consumed so far for nothing.

Bummer. Well just pull out some of that old moldy money you've got buried in the back yard and go get yourself one of those 12 core machines with 16 terabytes of ram, and put that $4000 video card in it and all your problems will be solved.

I can't even imagine what would make a video card worth $4000. I don't have that much in my whole office (not counting software), much less the video card. I sure someone needs them or they wouldn't exist, but gawllleee (as Gomer used to say).

LOL

Actually, Intel's 6-core CPU's run with HyperThreading, effectively acting like 12-cores. Sans GPU, you can build a nice setup for about $1800 off Newegg. Or, I fiddled around and priced out a AMD Phenom-II X6 bundle for about $600 (utilizing case/PSU/Optical/HID at home) with the GeForce 470GTX/Quadro 4000 driver-mod. If the IRS would let me, I'd build it.

I'm still curious what is ultimately causing your issues, though. I'll give it a shot this evening on my old P4 at home. I know that computer is not up to par. If it works there, then we know it's something else.

LOL

Actually, Intel's 6-core CPU's run with HyperThreading, effectively acting like 12-cores. Sans GPU, you can build a nice setup for about $1800 off Newegg. Or, I fiddled around and priced out a AMD Phenom-II X6 bundle for about $600 (utilizing case/PSU/Optical/HID at home) with the GeForce 470GTX/Quadro 4000 driver-mod. If the IRS would let me, I'd build it.

I'm still curious what is ultimately causing your issues, though. I'll give it a shot this evening on my old P4 at home. I know that computer is not up to par. If it works there, then we know it's something else.

I am still curious too. I haven't given up, it is just too time consuming right now. I have an actual AutoCAD client that needs tending so there will be a payday.

PS. 4 Grand. Man, I just dropped almost that much on an Edelbrock Supercharger for my Mustang. Ifn' Ida knowed ida needed a new vid card ida bought me one instead. Don't tell the IRS. The Mustang is a business car and the supercharger is not really an energy saving device.:wink:

My dog-desktop at home is STILL running the install, since like 6pm yesterday. 5 of 21 left to install.

lol

Supercharger not energy saving? What're you talking about?! Superchargers and turbochargers effectively increase the efficiency of an engine.

I am still curious too. I haven't given up, it is just too time consuming right now. I have an actual AutoCAD client that needs tending so there will be a payday.

PS. 4 Grand. Man, I just dropped almost that much on an Edelbrock Supercharger for my Mustang. Ifn' Ida knowed ida needed a new vid card ida bought me one instead. Don't tell the IRS. The Mustang is a business car and the supercharger is not really an energy saving device.:wink:

Sure it is. Just think how much easier it will be to push the gas pedal!

My dog-desktop at home is STILL running the install, since like 6pm yesterday. 5 of 21 left to install.

lol

Supercharger not energy saving? What're you talking about?! Superchargers and turbochargers effectively increase the efficiency of an engine.

Incredible. My install only took about 2.5 hours. Maybe it left something out. I should be able to install my blower faster than your revit is going in.

The supercharger really does increase eficiency. At normal driving speeds fuel consumption will actually improve. The problem is makin' my right foot act normal.

Along with total bhp increasing by about 35%, at high output levels, the fuel consumption will also increase by about that same amount.

Can't wait until later this summer. I need to beef up the rear suspension a little too, before I install the blower. The supercharger was actually a gift (sorta). Now it's gonna cost me about 1800 bucks to prepare the car for it.

Sure it is. Just think how much easier it will be to push the gas pedal!

It's too easy already. The thing comes with "Factory Rated" 300 bhp. The blower will add about 115 - 135 more.

Without the blower, as long as I am driving around town like a sane person, the throttle acts like its in a normal car, but when I get a little bit into it, the thing reacts like it was hit from behind by a rocket sled.

Wait, this isn't the Mustang forum, is it?

Me been bad.

I could talk about hotrods all day. Too bad I don't have the same techy interest in computers. I'd be able to run any software after I finished beefin' the box up the way I would a car.

Incredible. My install only took about 2.5 hours. Maybe it left something out. I should be able to install my blower faster than your revit is going in.

Indeed. It's an older pc I slapped together a few years back. MSI Mobo, 2.4Ghz Pentium-4 (old single core), 4GB DDR2 OCZ Fatality RAM, 1TB 7200rpm HDD, on-board video. It's nothing impressive, but it ran pre-Cata WoW pretty decently.

The supercharger really does increase eficiency. At normal driving speeds fuel consumption will actually improve. The problem is makin' my right foot act normal.

Along with total bhp increasing by about 35%, at high output levels, the fuel consumption will also increase by about that same amount.

Oh I wasn't joking. Roots-style superchargers are good for about a reliable

Can't wait until later this summer. I need to beef up the rear suspension a little too, before I install the blower. The supercharger was actually a gift (sorta). Now it's gonna cost me about 1800 bucks to prepare the car for it.
IRS, LSD and Coilovers? :twisted:

EDIT: Hmm...where's the OT section for hotrod discussion? hehe (turned on email, feel free)

When I installed it the other day on a fairly average machine it can't have taken more than an hour (that is including everything).