Autocad DWG file statistics

frenkas

Hello,

I need one utility and can't find exactly what I need. I have some large files and would like to know what makes them so large. I have written a script to tell me what entities (lines,plines, blocks...) are in the drawing, but it seems that not they are the problem. I would like to know if there is a tool to throw more detailed statistics about dwg, including: linetypes, textstyles, viewports, external application stuff, named views, dimension styles, groups, mlstyles, layouts, plotstyles, dictionaries, etc. etc.

I tried SuperPurge, but it is too slow and don't to the job for files larger than 10MB.

Did you do a normal purge need to click sometimes 3 times also check that you dont have a block some where that may be a whole drawing zoom e and if goes blank then chase two dots one is dwg the other probably what your looking for. also blocks that are ac$efgh4gf etc these are copies of objects from another dwg.

hav eyou embeded images this makes a huge difference.

I think the current drawing will also contain all the current undo data. I don't think you can access this data but I have noticed file sizes reduce just by being opened then saved.

You can try WBLOCK to reduce a file size if that is all you are trying to do. I don't know what SuperPurge is but WBLOCK can be used with any file size.

Try the DBLIST command.

DBLIST (Version 2.0 - R2010) - This command will list every entity in the drawing. Useful when you think you have some entities that are not showing up. You can erase everything visible and then run DBLIST to see what else is still there.

Source: CAD Panacea

• 7 years later...

Just had a similar situation myself and it turned out someone turned a layer off. We hardly use layer on/off in my team, we normally freeze and thaw, so it didn't cross anyone's mind to check for a layer that's been turned off.

On 2/28/2019 at 4:03 AM, pateksan said:

Just had a similar situation myself and it turned out someone turned a layer off.

The first thing I always do, when I receive a drawing is thaw and turn on all layers. I frequently receive drawings that have important information hidden from view, so I always double check and make sure all layers are visible before I start working.