Text vanishes when I try and plot...

Miniver

I'm be battling this all day and can't work it out.

I've got a drawing and title block and a table with text on my model space. When i create viewports etc and try and sort out the layout, the text in the title block and key disappears.

I'm probbaly doing something very basic wrong!

Any ideas?

Welcome to CADTutor!

Make sure that the text is on a thawed layer(s), and the through the viewport the text's layer(s) are not viewport-frozen.

hi. thanks, no the viewports arent frozen. one odd thing though...the tables etc are in white on black in the model. then when i print out the table lines etc are visbile black. could it e the text is white? or have i got confused with annotative text etc?

i have got the tables etc at 1:200 ish in the paper space but all the other info is ok- just missing the text

I'm at home on my MacBook, and do not have AutoCAD in front of me, but I'll try and walk you through from memory....

Two separate things:

(1) To make the layout tab 'look' the same as your model tab... From the layout tab, open the Page Setup Manager, and modify the current page setup to not display plot styles (upper right of the modify dialog?).

(2) From the model tab, make sure you table(s), text, etc. are placed on plottable, thawed (obviously turn on) layers. Ensure that the objects are set to bylayer, and that the layer's color is plottable (non-transparent) given your standard CTB / STB file.

Now switch back to the layout tab, and do a plot preview. Does this correct you problem?

Hi.

Thanks

That doesnt seem to have worked,

the text was on layer 0 [is that ok?] and on white so i changed it to black, still no joy. and that hatching is in the same layer/colour and previews ok...

Make sure your text color is set to white and not color 255. white is the special AutoCAD white that will change to dark on a light background, light on a dark background and always plots dark. Color 255 always stays white.

Edit Mtext - color - Select Color > white is the white square in the top long row of pick squares. 255 is the white square in the short second row.

The table lines are probably white, and not color 255. Slide your cursor over the color squares until you see which of the two white squares are white rather than 255.

im more than happy to upload but at the mo its 1mb as it has a load of redundat layers i cant seem to shift.

I think i solved it. In mtext edit I had to turn the little blue 3 legged propeller symbol off!

Thanks for your help guys

I think i solved it. In mtext edit I had to turn the little blue 3 legged propeller symbol off!

Thanks for your help guys

Three legged pro....? Oh, Annotative. OK. Yeah, the annotation scale could have been set to a scale that you were not using in your viewport. That was probably it then.

Still, surprising how many times that "white" thing catches people.