Link attribute value to another attribute value

doru10

Thanks Renderman.

I tried the command mentioned above it does not work.

if you manually change the value of node 56 with 101 and automatically change the labels (yellow ellipse circled areas).

Best Regards.

Did you try typing: FIELD at the command line?

After taking a peek at the sample drawing, it appears that the desired object reference is the attribute value of another block. After going through the Field command's 'object' options (unless I've overlooked something) there is no means of extracting the attribute value of the desired block.

I believe the OP needs to utilize an Object Reactor to accomplish this.

After taking a peek at the sample drawing, it appears that the desired object reference is the attribute value of another block.

One can use attribute values in Fields (indeed you can use any ActiveX property in a field).

Choose Object > Select Block Reference > Pick Tag name

One can use attribute values in Fields (indeed you can use any ActiveX property in a field).

I completely overlooked the attribute "NR" as I was unfamiliar with the OP's blocks / attribute naming, etc. :oops:

I was right to suggest fields initially. (Whew! :sweat:)

I tried the command mentioned above it does not work.

if you manually change the value of node 56 with 101 and automatically change the labels (yellow ellipse circled areas).

Doru10,

Double click the attribute within the yellow circle to open the Attribute Editor. In the Value field (where it presently reads 56) right click, and select Insert Field. Then from the Field dialog, select Objects from the Field Category, and select Object from the Field names area. Next Under the Object type area, hit the Select object button, and select the desired block (the block with 101 value). In the Property area, select the name of the attribute "NR" and select the format you want from the final area to the right.

Hit OK. and apply these changes to your block.

Now, every time you change the value of the source block's attribute, a simple refresh will change the dependent block accordingly.

Hope this helps!

Thank you for your attention.

Work in Acad2008.

I think in Civil3D (work with) is.

if I right click I do not open any option.

I Apologize for my English.

Let me see if I can be more specific....

• Enter the attedit command, and select block E-R proba 4. between nodes 77 and 101 (bottom center)
  • In the Edit Attributes dialog, right click inside the N1 area (where it reads 56), and select Insert Field...

Now follow these steps:

from the Field dialog, select Objects from the Field Category, and select Object from the Field names area.

Next Under the Object type area, hit the Select object button, and select the desired block (the block with 101 value).

In the Property area, select the name of the attribute "NR" and select the format you want from the final area to the right.

Hit OK. and apply these changes to your block.

Study this video tutorial:

Camtasia?

I use SnagIt for screen shots, and video capture, but the video is forced to .AVI instead of allowing .GIF format. :(

Edited by BlackBox
Typo

Thank you very much Lee-Mac and RenderMan.

I apologize that I do not understand the explanation began

It works perfectly.

I click right in the superior part, not in to editable area.

I have a question:

-in tags Material and Diameter can edit a selection list (eg: Material - cast iron, concrete, ductile iron, PVC, steel .... after which they can choose the diameter-110, 160,250,300 ...)

Thank you very much Lee-Mac and RenderMan.

I apologize that I do not understand the explanation began

It works perfectly.

I click right in the superior part, not in to editable area.

I have a question:

-in tags Material and Diameter can edit a selection list (eg: Material - cast iron, concrete, ductile iron, PVC, steel .... after which they can choose the diameter-110, 160,250,300 ...)

The material listed in the field dialog is actually the rendering material applied to the object's properties. You can always create a rendering material named as you wish and then apply it to the object (not just blocks). You need not render to use the name of this material - apply using the properties palette.

what I brought to your attention is a small example.

If a water or sewerage network editing labels in each part is quite difficult (but not impossible).

when the network is edited extract all data (tag values​​) to be centralized with the Attout.

Best Regards All.

• 1 year later...

I know I'm resurrecting an older thread, but I've been fiddling for an hour on this similar scenario and I'm stumped. Here's the scoop:

I have a General Annotation block. It's a Building Section Line, with two Number/Sheet callout heads on either end of the section line. The two section callouts are blocks that have been copied, and they contain Attributes. So my intuition began brewing, and I BURST one of the blocks so the Attributes turned to Text. I then used a FIELD on each of the two text objects to select the Block, and select the proper attribute values so I can just edit one block information and the information duplicates on the other side. I then decided to be sneaky, and use REFEDIT to add those text objects into the Block. Ha... AutoCAD said "I don't think so buuuuuddy". Apparently this creates a vortex where it can't read the information.

Any ideas on how I can get this to work? The reason behind it, is so I can add some Parameters and Actions to streamline the Building Section Callout annotation symbol for better efficiency and "lock in" standards. Thanks in advance!

- Tannar

...I BURST one of the blocks so the Attributes turned to Text. I then used a FIELD on each of the two text objects to select the Block, and select the proper attribute values so I can just edit one block information and the information duplicates on the other side...

Unless I have misunderstood, I see no reason to BURST the blocks in order to insert the Field Expressions, why not simply insert the Fields directly into the attributes?

Exactly ... see the attached containing 2 section heads (one of which duplicates the tag values from the other). Note that using Data Extract would show both versions - you'd need to combine duplicates so it only shows one line per set of tag values.

If you need extra values, then you need to add extra AttDef's inside the section head block's definition (e.g. using BEdit). Then to synchronize already placed section heads with the new definition use AttSync. Note you can set a tag to be hidden, so it acts like a value inside the block but not printed - it can still be extracted as a normal tag through Data Extraction.

Drawing2.dwg