Fixed layers in template.

Hardney

After reading all that's written above, I noticed that the layers issue is not answered and this is actually the reason why I am here. Our template has been created by an external firm that sold us our Civil 3D, since then we made some modifications to the template to make it better. Now, we are actually into a normalization phase in the office and it involves modifying the way we name our layers. So after adding all the new layers in the template, all the old layers remain in the template and are un-deletable. I know that we have some blocks in the template but all the old layers don't remain in these block, so when trying to purge these layers don't even appear and when trying to delete them in the layers manager there's always that message about Xref/0 layers, etc.. saying they can't be deleted. So obviously the question is the following: Can I or is there a way to erase these layers?

Our template has been created by an external firm that sold us our Civil 3D, since then we made some modifications to the template to make it better. Now, we are actually into a normalization phase in the office and it involves modifying the way we name our layers. So after adding all the new layers in the template, all the old layers remain in the template and are un-deletable. I know that we have some blocks in the template but all the old layers don't remain in these blocks, so when trying to purge these layers they don't even appear and when trying to delete them in the layers manager there's always that message about Xref/0 layers, etc.. saying they can't be deleted. So obviously the question is the following: Can I or is there a way to erase these layers into the template file or I have to start from scratch?

Sorry for the redundancy of thread displayed in two different posts.

if you are really, really sure you can use the LAYDEL command.

Take a copy of the file first though.

If the block references in your template utilize specific layers (instead of being placed on "Zero" layer), then you will not be able to purge those layers. Then again, that begs the question, if you no longer desire to use these layers (as stated in the OP), why are your block references setup to use them (still)? :unsure:

Thanks Tiger, will try the LAYDEL command.

Renderman: the layers used in the blocks are the layers we were previously, and are currently using. All our block library will be updated with the new layers eventually, btw thanks for your concern...

Thanks Tiger, will try the LAYDEL command.

Renderman: the layers used in the blocks are the layers we were previously, and are currently using. All our block library will be updated with the new layers eventually, btw thanks for your concern...

Okey-Dokey, dude... let me know how that works out for you. :lol:

Command: laydel

Select object on layer to delete or [Name]:
Selected layers: SomeLayer.
Select object on layer to delete or [Name/Undo]:

******** WARNING ********

There are 5 block definition(s) which reference the layer(s) you are deleting.
[color=red]The block(s) will be redefined and the entities referencing the layer(s)[/color]
[color=red]will be removed from the block definition(s).[/color]

You are about to delete layer "SomeLayer" from this drawing.

Do you wish to continue? [Yes/No] <No>: y

Redefining block "SomeBlock1".
Redefining block "SomeBlock2".
Redefining block "SomeBlock3".
Redefining block "SomeBlock4".
Redefining block "SomeBlock5".

Deleting layer "SomeLayer".
1 layer deleted.

After reading all that's written above, I noticed that the layers issue is not answered and this is actually the reason why I am here. Our template has been created by an external firm that sold us our Civil 3D, since then we made some modifications to the template to make it better. Now, we are actually into a normalization phase in the office and it involves modifying the way we name our layers. So after adding all the new layers in the template, all the old layers remain in the template and are un-deletable. I know that we have some blocks in the template but all the old layers don't remain in these block, so when trying to purge these layers don't even appear and when trying to delete them in the layers manager there's always that message about Xref/0 layers, etc.. saying they can't be deleted. So obviously the question is the following: Can I or is there a way to erase these layers?

Why not create a new template with out any reference to the old template. Without knowing how the original firm set up your templates I could only guess why the layers remain. You should use properties and the external reference manager, etc. and try to determine what you are dealing with.

There are some programs out there that can purge most objects.

I second SLW's suggestion. With Civil 3D, those layer references may be buried deep in style definitions, and it can take hours to root them all out. It's much easier to start from scratch.

I like to use Layer Merge, and merge such layers into Layer 0, rather than use Layer Delete. Although effectively they may work out to being much the same thing.

If you REALLY want to figure out where those layers are being used, there's third-party support that might help you out:

http://www.quuxsoft.com/SincpacC3D_Help/SP_CivilStyleProperties.htm

2012 has a purge out unused styles and lables have not used it yet but probably will, we inherented the dealers template a layer for everything . something like 126 layers with a blank drawing. We have considered starting again but such a huge task.

I like to use Layer Merge, and merge such layers into Layer 0, rather than use Layer Delete. Although effectively they may work out to being much the same thing.

If you REALLY want to figure out where those layers are being used, there's third-party support that might help you out:

http://www.quuxsoft.com/SincpacC3D_Help/SP_CivilStyleProperties.htm

Very nice addition Rich. I wish I could talk the boss into purchasing a few seats of your addon.

Very nice addition Rich. I wish I could talk the boss into purchasing a few seats of your addon.

Warning... Other people have tried that, but then office-mates got jealous of each other, and they ended up having to get it for everyone... :lol: