AutoCAD 2010, Windows 7, and Compatibility Mode... OH MY

TCorris

Recently upgraded my work computer to run Windows 7. :)

First, I couldn't run The new Windows 7 Aero without AutoCAD being slow, jumpy, and unresponsive. :x

Realized my graphics card sucked and I had to disable Aero. Viola, Worked great. :shock:

Then I worked with drawings referencing PDF underlays... No Bueno. AutoCAD crashed non-stop. :ouch:

I switched AutoCAD to run in Compatibility mode with Windows XP SP3. Now shes doing well. :)

I only have 1 tiny problem, that is growing into a complete thorn in my side. :oops:

Everytime I open a drawing from explorer, AutoCAD relaunches the entire program.

I searched for answers, I found the SDI and Taskbar commands. Both are set to "0"... No go, still doing it.

Checked in windows for the file type association "AutoCAD DWG Launcher" is already selected.

These are the 3 most common answers I have found, and so far the ONLY answers I have found... I cannot seem to stop AutoCAD from loading multiple times from explorer. :geek:

I don't know if its a Windows problem, or an AutoCAD problem.

I am getting around it by going through the AutoCAD menu and opening everything, but its just slowing me down.

Anyone know of anything else I can try? :twisted:

Thanks!

I am running AutoCad on Windows 7 (with aero effects enabled).

Try this: Righ click in the Start Menu -> Properties -> Taskbar tab -> Taskbar buttons drop down list: set this to 'never combine'.

I am running AutoCad on Windows 7 (with aero effects enabled).

Try this: Righ click in the Start Menu -> Properties -> Taskbar tab -> Taskbar buttons drop down list: set this to 'never combine'.

I believe this is what the OP has now, there is a new tab at the bottom for each drawing he has opened. If that is the case set to "always combine, hide labels".

• 3 weeks later...

That did not help. Maybe I described my problem wrong.

When I launch AutoCAD, because it runs in compatibility mode, when AutoCAD boots, Windows has me run it as administrator (When the screens dim and the warning from windows pops-up "This program is trying to make changes to the Hard Drive" or something to that effect)

Once I have my drawing open, if I go back to windows explorer and try to open a different drawing, rather than opening in my current AutoCAD. AutoCAD boots again. (The screens dim, i get the administrator warning) I and have 2 processes of AutoCAD running. My only way around it is to go to file/open... then the drawings will open up in the existing ACAD process.

I have windows set to launch DWGs with AutoCAD DWG Launcher instead of ACAD.exe

I also have the Taskbar and SDI commands to "0"

Is there any other option I have to change? or will AutoCAD keep launching a new process, simply because THATS what compatibility mode does?

It sounds like you have to make an edit to your Shortcut icon for AutoCAD that resides on your desktop. The topic has been covered before.

Why are you running it in compatibility mode anyway? It should work fine under normal Windows 7.

Scroll back up to my first post. I tell the entire story of why she is set up this way. :geek:

Hey I tried to install Autocad 2010 on window 7 but i failed, I got this " You cannot install this product on the current operating system"

Hey I tried to install Autocad 2010 on window 7 but i failed, I got this " You cannot install this product on the current operating system"

Go to Start, right click "My Computer" select "Properties" see if your computer is running 32-bit or 64-bit

Then make sure you're putting a 32-bit AutoCAD on a 32-bit system, same goes for 64-bit. They are not compatible.

Then I worked with drawings referencing PDF underlays... No Bueno. AutoCAD crashed non-stop.

You might find it easier to work out the solution to that problem.

Go to Start, right click "My Computer" select "Properties" see if your computer is running 32-bit or 64-bit

Then make sure you're putting a 32-bit AutoCAD on a 32-bit system, same goes for 64-bit. They are not compatible.

Not true, you can run 32-bit program on 64-bit OS, just you cannot run 64-bit program on 32-bit OS.

You might find it easier to work out the solution to that problem.

Not true, you can run 32-bit program on 64-bit OS, just you cannot run 64-bit program on 32-bit OS.

Hmm... Fancy that. Never knew.

They can have my XP machine when they pry it from my cold dead fingers!

I used to agree, but there are some features with Windows 7 that are so useful. It has its problems, like most things. But the pro's I'm experiencing are outweighing the con's

I'm sure there are some good things about it, but this machine just works. It don't give me any crap, it just does its thing, and I'm a great believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". :)

All kidding aside, I'm terribly skeptical after the misfire that was Vista. Bought a Vista machine from Dell while at my last employer. After about a week of wrestling with that, I pulled out the "XP downgrade" CD that came with it, ran that and suddenly everything worked. Seven came out so fast on Vista's heels, presumably in an attempt to aleviate all its problems that I'm waiting to let everyone else debug it.

Seven came out so fast on Vista's heels' date=' presumably in an attempt to aleviate all its problems that I'm waiting to let everyone else debug it.[/quote']

Yeah, I understand that. But if ya want a real scary thought, Ive heard a few things about a Windows 8 already in the works... :ouch:

Never will understand why an "upgrade" breaks more things than it fixes. I guess if it heals the old problems, the new ones make you think it's better maybe?

I have XP Pro at home on the old laptop and an old Dell PIII running ME (stripped to the basic OS) it is on the IE homepage in

• 2 months later...

SOLVED IT!

Because I had AutoCAD running in Compatibility Mode, I had to find the process for the DWG Launcher (called AC Launcher) in a different folder, and have that run in Compatibility Mode as well. Now AutoCAD runs like it did before my "upgrade"