*.AC$ file - okay to delete huge files?

tzframpton

I know that the *.AC$ file is a backup file. I believe it's the "undo" backup file if I'm not mistaken. I occasionally run WinDirStat on my computer just to see what has accumulated and to my surprise, I have a few AC$ files that are extremely huge, almost 2GB's worth in two different files. The date is a couple of months old and I was wondering if it's okay to get rid of these files without possible repercussion with a DWG file or the program itself? Do these AC$ files attach themselves to a particular DWG or are they newly created per session of DWG?

Thanks in advance.

scnsht.jpg

Agree with ReMark.

We have a startup script that runs at logon that empties the %temp% directory of anything older than "X" days....

Something to look into...

Also sv$'s and baks that will be written to your temp directory, I search also for plot.log this pops up every where, Dwl's .err if you crash quite a few get left behind, recover dwg's did you rename and re save. We have directory C:\acadtemp easy to find and monitor

We move our completed jobs to a seperate area and delete baks as a regular task (plot = new bak) we have 15 years on line.

Then you get into the windows stuff .tmp .log

We have 60GB split 2x30Gb C: & D: thought put 2012 on D: 25gb free no crashed! need about 6gb free on C:to install and it took away 2gb on c: once complete hence cleanup all the time, dont start on our IT not removing rubbish from their compulsory upgrades.

I think users can disable the creation of plot.log files through the Options dialog window. I forget which tab it is at the moment.

I think users can disable the creation of plot.log files through the Options dialog window. I forget which tab it is at the moment.

You can but it has never actually worked for me. Good job Autodesk. ;)

i think users can disable the creation of plot.log files through the options dialog window. I forget which tab it is at the moment.

it is in "options" dialoguebox under 'plot & publish' > plot & publish dialoguebox

Thank you Dipali.

Styk: One would think it either works or it doesn't. Wonder what causes it to be sporadic?

Is the plot log setting saved in templates or drawing files? That could be what's turning it back on from time to time if it is.

Plot log can be handy for those of us running small shops. It contains a lot of information about the drawing, including the date and time the drawing was started and completed. It has a CSV format that can be used in spreadsheets.

Yes, I still get plot logs even though it is turned off and I have checked the settings and they are still off.

Yesterday I found a .bak in my windows directory and I have those turned off as well. I also find .dwl & .dwl2, I thought those were supposed to go away when you closed the drawing unless you have a crash and I have not had a crash with these drawings. :?

Dwl & Dwl2 did you have your explorer open on same directory may lock file as open hence no delete.

Not sure about that, I swap from one directory to another all day long. From what I can tell about those file from Autodesk, they should still go away upon closure of the drawing unless there is a crash, but you may be on to something.