Multiple block editing help

Alistair

Hello,

I have a drawing of 300+ blocks which are point data with individual attributes, such as x & y coords, id number, etc. Due to the number and spread of the points, they don't display clearly at any scale. Is it possible to change all the points to, say, a circle or donut, without having to individually edit each block?

Many thanks for any help.

Alistair:)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alistair

• eldon

• BlackBox

• irneb

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The strategy will depend on whether all blocks are the same block. If they are, you can simply redefine the block. Any attributes you don't want to see you can set to invisible. Attributes you want to turn on or off you can put on their own layers (something you normally would not want to do).

If you have Express Tools, you can replace one block with another.

Don't forget to run Attsync to synchronize the attributes.

Uhm, are these block entities or point entities? If the later RenderMan's suggestion is the direction you should look to (also PDSize).

If the former, you should be able to BEdit the block's definition to scale its internals smaller. You may then also need to run the AttSync command to synchronize the attributes to the new definition of that block.

Sorry, too late to see CyberAngle's post. And BTW, since the OP uses 2007 - the BEdit is also of no help. Either explode a copy of the block and redefine with the block command after editing, or use RefEdit. Obviously both would still need AttSync though.

Hello,

I've tried the ddptype and that enables me to see the points on the screen. In answer to irneb's question I think these are probably point entities...but I'm not entirely sure. Each of the 378 blocks represent trees, so they have different locations, id numbers and species, etc. I need to display the trees on a plan and indicate only their id numbers.

Thanks for your help so far,

Alistair :)

Could you attach a sample drawing (one of these points + its data should be enough)? AFAIK a point cannot have any text value attached to it, but a block can. Unless of course the points are separate to the text values.

A block entity can include a point entity--that may be why you're confused. If they also include attributes, then they are almost certainly blocks.

Here's a suggestion. Open the Block Editor. Replace the point inside the block definition with a circle. Change the attributes to an appropriate scale, put them on other layers as necessary, and reposition them as you like. Close the Block Editor. Run Attsync on the block to update the attributes. Then pat yourself on the back for fixing 300 blocks at one swoop.

PointDataTest.dwgHello,

Thanks to everyone for your help so far. I've attached a slimmed-down drawing, as the original was too large. All I need to do is show a circle symbol on the drawing and the id number next to it.

As you can see, each point and the attributes is collected as a different block making it dfficult to edit all the blocks in one go.

As always, all help is greatly appreciated.

Alistair :)

DWG Updated to AutoCAD 2004

CyberAngel is correct! Your drawing contains blocks with points inside them and hidden attributes.

The only way to get them to show the attributes is to redefine the block's definition. Unfortunately though each instance in your drawing has a separate definition (i.e. block name), ranging from BLK0-BLK379. To make life easier, try using the Express Tool - BlockReplace to merge them all to one common definition. Then edit that def as CyberAngel's explained.

To unhide the attributes, select them while inside the block definition and change their "Invisible" property to No in the properties palette. BTW, your blocks seem to have some strange settings for the attributes. Might want to modify that as well as work with some layering so you can more easily turn on/off the data fields.

I am afraid that whoever draw up your blocks, did not have easy reading in mind. The blocks have all the information, which is easily read electronically, but is diabolical for humans to read. Can you not put this point to whoever you get your drawings from.

TreeAttributes.jpg

The blocks have been generated by a third party GPS program, so I guess it's not that easy to display how the data is transfered into AutoCAD via a DXF.

Regarding combining all the blocks into one, my knowledge of blocks is lacking to say the least, so if anybody could give me an idiots guide to the 'Block Replace' function in Express Tools I would be very greatful? I assume I'll need to create a new one and replace the others to match it and the sync the attribute info?

Many thanks for everyone responses,

Alistair

Using tools available to me, I have got this in a little time. If it is only a one off, then I can do something like this for you. If it is an on-going problem, then you will have to get a lasting solution.

Basically, I extracted the attributes using only the Easting, Northing and the ID. Then I replotted them.

PointsID.jpg

Hello Eldon,

That is exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for. This is a one off but I would like to learn how you did it. Can you briefly explain this?

Many thanks,

Alistair

All the blocks were inserted at 0,0 with the Easting and Northing as attributes. That is why all the blocks are different. The GPS program is making the blocks to a pattern, but as I said previously, the method is not very user friendly for doing other things.

But I extracted the Easting and Northing attribute together with the ID attribute, and then using a survey plotting programme, re-plotted all the IDs as text, and made the point as a circle. So I have not edited any blocks, but the original blocks are there. This is purely a visual solution for your needs.

If I can help further, please either post the drawing with the blocks only in it, or perhaps you would prefer to PM me with the blocks. Just tell me what size text you are wanting. (I am only using 2002, so if you could save down to 2000, that would save me a step)

Perhaps it would be advantageous to step through a selection set of these blocks, and either replace, or at minimum insert a new block at each source block's insertion point... being sure to extract the necessary attribute values from the source block as you step through.

This would provide a tangible result (as opposed to simply displaying the results) that the OP could WBLOCK out (if needed) for other purposes.

In this case, all the insertion points are at 0,0, so to get a common block, you would need to insert them all at the Easting and Northing attribute with the rest of the attributes in place. I am sure that it can be knocked up in a trice. :D

In this case, all the insertion points are at 0,0, so to get a common block, you would need to insert them all at the Easting and Northing attribute with the rest of the attributes in place. I am sure that it can be knocked up in a trice. :D

Guess it would help if I opened the drawing (or read your earlier post more thoroughly) LoL.

Simply replace the block's insertion point from my earlier statement with the Northing Easting equivalent as extracted from the source block's attributes.

Simply replace the block's insertion point from my earlier statement with the Northing Easting equivalent as extracted from the source block's attributes.

That clearly lets me off the hook. Although with 300+ blocks, that would need a lisp routine, so it's all in your safe hands now for the lisp. :)

Hi Eldon and Renderman,

Thanks for your help. Renderman, I think I get the jist of your solution and I think this is the thought process I had, without knowing if it was possible in AutoCAD. I would like to understand more about your idea if you could elaborate. For this one-off situation, Eldon's solution appears to be relatively straight forward.

I appreciate all your help with these solutions.

Many thanks, Alistair :)

PointDataTest.dwg