Drawing1 at Autocad startup

pvd

You saved 9 seconds?

Let's see. 9 seconds a day (if you only open AC once a day) times 5 days a weeks is 45 seconds saved. Multiply that by 50 weeks a year (I'll give you two weeks off for good behavior) is 2250 seconds a year. Divide that by 60 seconds per minute means you saved 37.5 minutes. You just gained a tad over a half hour of "free" time! Don't waste it! LOL

Edited by ReMark
Corrected my bad math oopsie! LOL

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• khoshravan

• qball

• pvd

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You saved 9 seconds?

Let's see. 9 seconds a day (if you only open AC once a day) times 5 days a weeks is 45 seconds saved. Multiply that by 50 weeks a year (I'll give you two weeks off for good behavior) is 2250 seconds a year. Divide that by 60 seconds per hour means you saved 37.5 hours. You just gained a tad over a day and a half of "free" time! Don't waste it! LOL

some of us work a 37,5 hour week. That means you could ask for an extra week's holiday a year because of your productivity gain.

:thumbsup:

2250 seconds a year. Divide that by 60 seconds per hour means you saved 37.5 hours.

How many seconds are there in an hour again? lol

I think ReMark's fried his circuit board. :lol:

9 seconds per day x 5 days per week = 45 seconds a week

45 seconds per week x 50 weeks per year = 2250 seconds per year

2250 seconds per year / 60 seconds per minute = 37.5 minutes

Looks like someone will get to leave work a half hour early on their birthday. :P

Let's see. 9 seconds a day (if you only open AC once a day) times 5 days a weeks is 45 seconds saved. Multiply that by 50 weeks a year (I'll give you two weeks off for good behavior) is 2250 seconds a year. Divide that by 60 seconds per hour means you saved 37.5 hours. You just gained a tad over a day and a half of "free" time!

Did I write that? Good thing I'm not a math teacher! FIRED! That's pretty funny. Thanks for catching that. 37.5 minutes! Just enough time to catch a snooze.

Ok, out of sheer curiosity, I just tried this myself and here are my results:

Starting Autocad normally, with splash screen included, took about 5 seconds.

Starting Autocad without the splash screen, using the "/nologo" switch, took about 5 seconds.

As far as I can tell, there is no advantage to disabling the splash screen.

Ok, out of sheer curiosity, I just tried this myself and here are my results:

Starting Autocad normally, with splash screen included, took about 5 seconds.

Starting Autocad without the splash screen, using the "/nologo" switch, took about 5 seconds.

As far as I can tell, there is no advantage to disabling the splash screen.

What you'll find in many cases (not all) is that the splash is being displayed while code is being loaded/executed. Especially for vertical products (i.e., Land Desktop, Civil 3D, etc.) code's going to load no matter what, and it obviously takes longer than, say Vanilla AutoCAD.

Many 3rd-Party developers use a splash for this purpose, and obviously for branding (i.e., AutoTURN, etc.). Another example would be in custom .NET development, given the relative ease with which a developer can incorporate a splash, forms, whatever into their .DLL solution.

(^^ My $0.02 ^^)

[edit] Apparently you can even replace the default splash with one of your own (haven't tried this) [/edit]

Yes, I know. That's why I was a little amazed to hear that Dana saved 9 seconds at startup. Especially since it doesn't even take 9 seconds for the program to start, even with the splash screen. But I had to try it out just to see what I already knew. It doesn't matter if you disable the splash screen or not. Autocad is still going to take the same amount of time to start up regardless. I just posted that reply so that no one else wastes their time thinking they're going to shave off a few seconds at start up.

If you want to be more productive with your time, stop worrying about the extra few seconds it takes to load drawing 1, or the splash screen, and start working on learning your keyboard shortcuts. Learn about all the various commands and how they work and how you can use them to your advantage. Learn how to write lisp routines to automate tedious tasks, create a block library of reusable content, create drawing templates, etc., etc. There are many ways to make yourself more productive, but saving 2 seconds at start up is not one of them.

What you'll find in many cases (not all) is that the splash is being displayed while code is being loaded/executed. Especially for vertical products (i.e., Land Desktop, Civil 3D, etc.) code's going to load no matter what, and it obviously takes longer than, say Vanilla AutoCAD.

So we work really hard to shave mere seconds and then what? I know. We stand around the coffee machine and waste the time saved talking about last night's (name-your-favorite-sport here) game. All for naught.

well, it was me that started the discussion, but I was just telling you what I heard on one of the Autodesk University videos.

So how much time have we used reading and replying to this thread?

I think I would make this my splash screen if I do my own.

awesome.jpg

If you want to be more productive with your time, stop worrying about the extra few seconds it takes to load drawing 1, or the splash screen, and start working on learning your keyboard shortcuts. Learn about all the various commands and how they work and how you can use them to your advantage. Learn how to write lisp routines to automate tedious tasks, create a block library of reusable content, create drawing templates, etc., etc. There are many ways to make yourself more productive, but saving 2 seconds at start up is not one of them.

Sounds like I could use your expertise here, 'cause I'm at a loss. :)

So we work really hard to shave mere seconds and then what? I know. We stand around the coffee machine and waste the time saved talking about last night's (name-your-favorite-sport here) game. All for naught.

First - if you want to shave seconds/minutes - get an industrial Keurig. LoL

drink-coffee.jpg

Second - Huh... I've been wasting all that free time gained completing other jobs early to make us more profitable (and continue increasing my pay rate!). :ouch: LoL

Yes, I know. That's why I was a little amazed to hear that Dana saved 9 seconds at startup. Especially since it doesn't even take 9 seconds for the program to start, even with the splash screen. But I had to try it out just to see what I already knew. It doesn't matter if you disable the splash screen or not. Autocad is still going to take the same amount of time to start up regardless. I just posted that reply so that no one else wastes their time thinking they're going to shave off a few seconds at start up.

Shucks, I didn't even time it.:) I just made the 9 seconds up to comment sarcasticly on the "Time Saving" tricks some people engage in.:)

Now that I have timed it, it does indeed NOT make any difference at all. I get the same 5 seconds one way or the other.

Rather than try to speed it up, I think I am gonna change the Splash screen to a really high density picture of my 18 month old Pit Bull mix, Daisy. That'll slow it down some, and it'll scare the beans outa whoever is standin' behind me.

Daisy The Boss.jpg

• 1 month later...
Here. this might help. The /nologo goes after the last quote mark and a space

>>> ... Autocad.exe" /nologo ...

This saved me all of about 9 seconds out of my day today. I can see worrying about it if you are running an IBM Turbo XT 486 and windows 3.1, but.....

Don't put it in the Start In field, only the Target field.

If you set Startup to 1, you will get a little dialog box offering some choices of what and how to open, instead of opening drawing1.dwg automatically. If you cancel that box without opening anything, then drawing1.dwg opens anyway so what's the point?:unsure:

I tried to put it but Target box is greyed out and I can't input.

Second question few box below there is another box which says: Run. Mine is in "Normal Window" but it has minimized and maximized options. What are they?

Minimized and Maximized refer to the size of the window. Max should fill your screen. Min should show up as an icon on your Task Bar at the bottom of your screen.

One more question. When Autocad come up, a "startup" window pops up (start from scratch) which asks for default settings of metric and imperial.

I think it is possible to disable this windows. Please tell me how?

One more question. When Autocad come up, a "startup" window pops up (start from scratch) which asks for default settings of metric and imperial.

I think it is possible to disable this windows. Please tell me how?

Set the system variable STARTUP to 0

Startup = 0 will get rid of that dialog and access whatever template you have under Qnew for startup.

I seem to recall putting things in "Start in:" in previous versions. Try it and see if it works.

Startup = 0 will get rid of that dialog and access whatever template you have under Qnew for startup.

Only for the QNEW command. The NEW command (which is in the toolbar and/or pull down menu macro OOTB on some versions) will still open a file dialog to allow you to select a template.