gable roofs in revit 2009

Jack_O'neill

Ok guys, you all know I love to answer questions where someone has simply and completely overlooked something obvious, so I guess its my turn to ask one of them. I've been through the tutorials, dug through the websites, and both of the books I have and can't find this answer.

Gable roofs in Revit...how do I tell it to attach the peak of the gable to the peak of the main roof? See pic below. I want the circled portion of the gable to attach at the "x". I'm sure it's jumping up and down and waving it's little hands at me, but I can't find it.

gable roof.JPG

So you want that gable sloped down toward the door, not level?

In which case, if I remember correctly, you can add a point on your ridge (where the X is) and draw line ridgeline from your gable point to that.

I could be wrong, I haven't used RAC in about a year, and those advanced features aren't available in RMEP.

Lemme know if that makes any sense.

EDIT: Or, if you intend your gable ridge to be level, change the height of your ridgeline to match that of the perpendicular ridge.

Thanks Fried. I wanted it level, just couldn't figure out how to get it the same height as the other ridgeline.

If you select the roof, but don't edit the footprint, you should have extra modify buttons up top, contextual buttons. In those, you can select points and lines to modify heights of ridges and specific points of the roof.

Sorry, my first explanation said *how* to do it, but not *where* the controls were.

No, sorry. When I select the roof, all I get is an edit button and the "filter selections" button. Maybe it would help if I told you how the roof was constructed. Originally a rectangular roof created by picking walls, I then removed the "defines slope" indicator from the front. Then I split the line along the front of the house in three sections (just as the AUGI tutorial says to do). I selected the two outer sections and clicked "defines slope", then put a slope arrow from the end point of the middle section to its midpoint. Did it again on the other end. That gives me a gable roof alright, but I see no way to control the height of it. By making the middle section longer I can raise it, even to the point that its higher than the original roof, but I don't know how to make it be the height I want. I could throw some dimensions on it and break out the calculator and figure it out, but there should be some way to do it in the software without having to fall back on manual trig.

Hmm...this really sucks not having RAC in front of me, cause I did this stuff a lot with as-builts.

I'll see what I can dig up. Maybe 2012 RMEP has the advanced controls I'm thinking about.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Revit-Architecture/moving-roof-ridge/td-p/2298349

At the bottom, is a *very* short explanation.

http://www.dscohn.com/AU/handouts/AB322-1%20-%20Raising%20the%20Roof-Creating%20Roofs%20in%20Revit.pdf

Go down to "Warped Slabs", almost at the bottom.

Hopefully this bridges the gap. It's hard not having it right in front of me.

OK, I see what's happening now. If I build the roof using the slope arrows, I don't get those tools you mentioned. If I just put a flat roof on, it will give me the tools to modify it. Thanks, I can get there from here.

This was exactly what I was trying to do. I have downloaded 3 different tutorials, and bought 2 books, and none of them explain it simply. They tell you that you can make gable roofs, and show the method I describe above to do it as "one of many" but never really go into the others. They talk about warped slabs, and making roofs with extrusions, but no where have I found the four simple steps below.

In reality, this method is much easier than fooling with the slope angle tools. Just in case anyone ever wants to know:

1. Draw a flat roof.

2. Click on it to highlight it, and several tools will appear on the options bar next to the "edit" button.

3. Use the "Draw Split Lines" tool to place lines where you want ridges and valleys.

4. Use the "Modify Sub-elements" tool to assign heights to the points on the ridges.

If you get lost or screw up, hit the "reset shape" button and you are instantly back to the flat roof and you can begin again.

Presto, you have a gable roof. Why couldn't they just say that in the first place?

Fried, I've messed around with this on and off all day, but after you posted those links, it took about 15 minutes to figure it out. Thanks for your help once again.

The pic below will help visualize the points and lines I mentioned in the steps. This is what it looks like after you assign the heights.

gable roof.jpg

Sorry I couldn't walk you through it precisely, like I said, MEP doesn't have those options and I didn't have RAC in front of me. Glad I could help at least a little, so good to know I didn't waste anyones time.

Those roof tools were a life saver for me, quite often.

Sorry I couldn't walk you through it precisely, like I said, MEP doesn't have those options and I didn't have RAC in front of me. Glad I could help at least a little, so good to know I didn't waste anyones time.

Those roof tools were a life saver for me, quite often.

No problem dude...you got me pointed in the right direction. And much better than the tutorials did! That is such a powerful program, you have to wonder why the published tutorials are so sucky. Thanks again for your help.