What keyboard are you using for CAD?

MattCAD711

So, what are you using?

Are there any keyboards out there that work especially well for AutoCAD? Not interested in stickers, but programmable buttons sound cool…

Im currently using a Ligitech K120 its nice, didnt pay much for it; no real features tho :)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alanjt

• BlackBox

• irneb

• MattCAD711

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

a crap one. it's fine for the job. it has letters and numbers on it.

no volume control or skip track tho :(

What version of AutoCAD etc. are you using?

I have a Lenovo with letters and numbers and a fingerprint device.

Saitek Cyborg here. Got buttons along the top to control the sound, plus 12 programmable keys (6 on each end) where the osnaps I use most live, as well as the most common lisps. (see it here: http://www.dexigner.com/news/15449)

I don't use the cyborg mouse though. I have a 4 button trackball that lives at the right end of the keyboard, and since a trackball is stationary, it puts the 6 buttons on that end of the keyboard within easy reach.

Running 06 & 08 (in XP Pro) and sometimes 2010 (in win7 x64)

Fingerprint scanners are cool but not necessary... I really like the"laptop style" keys

I like the trusty ooooooold Gateway2000 Anykey. Fully programmable and has another set of function keys on the left side of the keyboard.

Gateway-ANYKEY-Keyboard.jpg

I'm going to stop plugging this keyboard, with it pushing 15+ years since they last manufactured one, I'd better keep the interest as low as possible. Luckily, I have an extra one sitting in my closet at home.

A few years ago, the neighbor passed over the chain link fence a whole H-P computer that it was mentioned had a bad PS. I had another PS and bolted right in and it worked, 'cept that every now and then would get a screwy answer or it flat would not compute. Took out the keyboard via suggestion at another web site, and hooked in a old $3 Compaq one to the backside. It has been a good one ever since. That H-P keyboard went to another computer and works fine there past three years running Win 95 plus Acad.

Wm.

Alan, that's probably a mechanical keyboard as well! If it is you should expect another 50+ years worth of work on it (unless the "ink" gets worn out on those keys and you can't remember where which are).

Sadly, it is not, but I've had this one for quite some time and the only problem I have is the Enter key sticks every once in a while.

O damn! I'm looking for some mech keyboard myself - they're not that easy to find (never mind their price)! As for programmable, perhaps one of those side-pads would do the trick?

But more important for me is a mouse which just works, I'm fed up with these failing stuff (especially Logitech). Thus far the "best" one I've used is a base-line MS Wheel Mouse Optical - though my gripe against that is it's wheel is WAAAAYYY to sensitive, I can bump the table and the drawing zooms! Heard some good things about Razr's gaming mice, but then they should be made of gold to compensate for their price-tag.

Wish I still had my SummaSketch tablet from the 80's! That thing was used for more than 10+ years until I left that company (even working on windows), never gave any hassle at all! And I still think it made me more productive than any form of keyboard/mouse/new UI combination. The Calcomp DrawingBoard II used to get brittle cables after a few years and the Genius NewSketch needed to be reconnected every now and then.

O damn! I'm looking for some mech keyboard myself - they're not that easy to find (never mind their price)! As for programmable, perhaps one of those side-pads would do the trick?

But more important for me is a mouse which just works, I'm fed up with these failing stuff (especially Logitech). Thus far the "best" one I've used is a base-line MS Wheel Mouse Optical - though my gripe against that is it's wheel is WAAAAYYY to sensitive, I can bump the table and the drawing zooms! Heard some good things about Razr's gaming mice, but then they should be made of gold to compensate for their price-tag.

Wish I still had my SummaSketch tablet from the 80's! That thing was used for more than 10+ years until I left that company (even working on windows), never gave any hassle at all! And I still think it made me more productive than any form of keyboard/mouse/new UI combination. The Calcomp DrawingBoard II used to get brittle cables after a few years and the Genius NewSketch needed to be reconnected every now and then.

That sucks about the drawing board. I've got 3 of the old 24" calcomp boards in a closet - you have them/one if that would do you.

Edited by alanjt

I've been a long time user of Logitech Mice... my current pick, the Performance Mouse MX, is by far the most comfortable, and easy to use mouse that I have ever owned.

Setpoint is behind the times in my mind for customization of the buttons, but the thing works as advertised (on any surface, wood, granite, glass, etc.), and it performs exactly as I set it to do so (scroll speed, etc.).

Kind of pricey still (+/- $80), but I'm sure you can find some good deals online.

As for the keyboard, I'm currently using a stock Dell (102 + Windows Explorer + Volume + USB ports, etc.), but have been eying up the Logitech Wave for some time.

The original Logitech G15 was really nice (18 programmable keys on left side). I had one at home and shamefully used it for WOW (and testing as a replacement for the Anykey) until my idiot father-in-law dumped coffee all over it.

Luckily, I have an extra one sitting in my closet at home.

I've got 3 of the old 24" calcomp boards in a closet - you have them/one if that would do you.

Keep many things hidden away in your closet... ehh, Alan? :unsure:

-----

Mr. Cruise? [knock knock knock]

Mr. Cruise!? [knock knock knock]

Mr. Cruise, please come out of the closet!?!

305152.jpg

:P

Keep many things hidden away in your closet... ehh, Alan? :unsure:

-----

Mr. Cruise? [knock knock knock]

Mr. Cruise!? [knock knock knock]

Mr. Cruise, please come out of the closet!?!

305152.jpg

:P

If you only knew.

Actually, beyond those things, my camping gear and my ghillie suit, everthing else is holiday crap.

Logitech N305 Num pad. Seems a bit crazy but all of my commands, snaps and blocks are all in numbers. A bit slow at first but when you get the hang of it, you'll be amaze on what you will can do. Performance Mouse MX makes a great companion.

Logitech N305 Num pad. Seems a bit crazy but all of my commands, snaps and blocks are all in numbers. A bit slow at first but when you get the hang of it, you'll be amaze on what you will can do. Performance Mouse MX makes a great companion.

Nothing wrong with that. It amazes me how many people don't think do define the numbers, tilde, etc. as functions in their PGP file.

Nothing wrong with that. It amazes me how many people don't think do define the numbers, tilde, etc. as functions in their PGP file.

Hurriedly opening PGP to add definitions....

LoL :oops:

Hurriedly opening PGP to add definitions....

LoL :oops:

LoL

Here's the the first few from my PGP file.

`, *QLEADER

1, *LayerCurrent

2, *LayerSet

3, *LayerOff

4, *LayerFreeze

5, *MLEADER

6, *LayerMatchSet

7, *LIST

8, *LayerP

9, *EXTRIM

0, *MATH