Jump to content
derranged cadder

parts lists problem

Recommended Posts

derranged cadder

part size creator box.jpg

Users of 2010 and 2011 Civil 3D (32 and 64bit) in my office using either windows xp or windows 7 are unable to add part sizes to part families in the parts list.

 

This problem has been affecting us for awhile and we are in the dark on how to go about fixing it. The problem affects everyone in this office so it cant be just a local computer problem? Here is the scenario we are able to re-create, doing a fresh install of Civil 3D solves the problem but then after shutting down and logging back in the problem starts again. Therefore eliminating the possibility of a broken pipe catalogue? Also we have tried multiple catalogues on different drives and also the one in the C drive to no avail.

 

Our conclusion is that something changes after logging off and windows? is unable to read the xml files in the pipe catalogue.

 

Attached is a picture of the part size creator dialog box we are getting which as you can see is short of the options for adding multiple sizes etc.

 

Tried not to bore you, hopefully everything is mentioned, any help is greatly appreciated.

Anthony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CyberAngel

Without more information, I'll suggest that the catalog files are in a folder that is read-only, or that the files themselves are read-only. I have no idea why that would happen, you're supposed to be able to update them.

 

A full re-install is a last resort.

 

Welcome to the forum. You can help us to help you by providing as much information as possible about your issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Organic
Without more information, I'll suggest that the catalog files are in a folder that is read-only, or that the files themselves are read-only. I have no idea why that would happen, you're supposed to be able to update them.

 

This is the only suggestion I can think of also. It worked fine for me in 2010.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BlackBox

Thanks for the tip - we're transitioning from LDT 2009 to C3D 2011 now. This will save us some headache down the road. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
derranged cadder

Hmm we thought that as well, but the fact that we can read them fine after a fresh install suggests otherwise. After a full re-install it works fine, but as soon as we log off/shut down the problem starts up again and seems to be irreversible.

We are able to replicate this problem on multiple machines but we just don't know what to do to fix it, it is hard to ask the IT guys as we are not sure what to ask them.

It has been suggested it may be something to do with the registry keys but we are at a loss where to start, any further ideas?What additional information could be provided that would help?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BlackBox

You say that everything works on a fresh-install... Does that mean IT is still logged in as an admin, immediately after installing C3D?

 

If so, this is a total shot in the dark.....

 

Is it possible that the issue lies within the windows profile IT has implemented on the user's computers?

 

That would be something that is 'loaded' during user login; everything from the registry policy, to folder permissions.

 

Just a thought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
derranged cadder

The profile we use on windows 7 is our own and is an administrative profile that we can install things on.

We are pretty confident that the problem does lie with the profile, but it is something that has changed on everyones computer recently and they used to all work, it could be something to do with what is loaded at startup but we have no idea what it might be or what to ask IT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BlackBox
The profile we use on windows 7 is our own and is an administrative profile that we can install things on.

We are pretty confident that the problem does lie with the profile, but it is something that has changed on everyones computer recently and they used to all work, it could be something to do with what is loaded at startup but we have no idea what it might be or what to ask IT

 

So if I understand you correctly....

 

Since implementing the new Windows Profile on all computers, you've noticed an undesired behavior with modifying certain critical files, which is impacting all users. You suspect it may have to do with some sort of permission's policy originating from the new Windows Profile.

 

Try asking IT to restore the previous Windows Profile onto a test computer, so that you can test this theory. That *should* allow you to rule the Widows Profile in/out of the potential causes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
derranged cadder

After much testing and playing around we have a solution, resetting the file below back to the original one (someone had altered it) solved the problem. It was interesting to note that before we did this I disabled the recently added norton anti-virus software and that fixed it as well...until the broken catalogue was used and then the problem affected all the catalogues.

 

pipes catalogue (latest)\Aecc Shared Content\AeccPartParamCfg.xml

 

thanks for all your help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...