Hello...New to Sketchup, looking for tutorials

nidhi singhania

I am new to Google Sketchup 8. Can anyone please suggest me some nice easy to learn tutorial.

Do we need any sort of plugins to start working with the software?

Hi, first open Sketchup (has to be PRO) then go to FILE choose IMPORT select your DWG in "options" look at the scale factor.

Well somehow i was able to convert cad file into skp and then when I imported the same into 3ds max, the extruded structure is coming in black.

I even tried to render it, but then, nothing is coming in that as well...

Can someone come to my rescue, what should i do, to see the structure in normal coloured form.:geek:

I find it easier to make the structure in sketchup and place materials and all in 3ds max.

Well somehow i was able to convert cad file into skp and then when I imported the same into 3ds max, the extruded structure is coming in black.

I even tried to render it, but then, nothing is coming in that as well...

Can someone come to my rescue, what should i do, to see the structure in normal coloured form.:geek:

Most likely, when you imported the model it got flipped inside out. In Max, window select all the polygons and then hit the "Flip" button.

If that doesn't work, post the .dwg and the .skp files here?

BTW, you should have posted this question in the 3DS Max section. :wink:

• 7 months later...
Hi, first open Sketchup (has to be PRO) then go to FILE choose IMPORT select your DWG in "options" look at the scale factor.

i am also new to sketchup and using pro-8 but in my import dialoguebox autocad dwg is not listed under file type tab. any idea how i can import it any other way?

sorry but i don't see that option('Files of type' (Microsoft Windows) or 'Format' (Mac OS X)) in my drop-down list of file type.

may be the reason is that i have downloded trial version first to try out.

but how can i ty it out if i can not import dwg file in it?

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......................a trial version. Well that makes all the sense in the world then. Yep, I'll bet the fine folks over at Google disabled that feature. There might be a work-around but I would have to do some sleuthing to come up with it.

Keep in mind that the plug-in (Importer for DWG/DXF) that is mentioned only works in SketchUp 7.1 and not 8 which means that you would have to find and download both.