Best approach for a massive collaborative job??

tzframpton

I posted this over at TheSwamp.org so sorry for the repetitiveness between forums for some of you.

Some good news: we landed our biggest project in the 60 years my company has been open for business. The bad news: It's scheduled to be complete in six months.

Here's the scoop, it's a $15 million mechanical job for a food processing plant. The place is huge and has been gutted, utilizing the existing structure. We are the contractor who is doing the HVAC, piping, and plumbing using AutoCAD MEP. I will be working on site in our own office trailer, and the other CAD designer will be in our main office. We will be working crazy hours and it will be a fully coordinated BIM job as well. Good thing we're still hourly. ;)

Here's a key plan that shows the areas: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4989089/wwf.jpg

So here's my idea for the approach, and hopefully I can get some feedback from some of you pros in here. I'm going to be setting up a Project and in the Project Navigator I will set three levels: 1st Floor, 2nd Floor, and Roof. Then I want to make a Construct for each zoned area (Area A, B, C, etc). The thing I have a question on about this, is Divisions. Should I make each zoned area a Division? Or should I keep them as separate Constructs? Another thing is this: I will be on site, the other designer will be in our main office. Has anyone ever worked remotely using a Project Navigator? I have a laptop and I already bounce site to site sometimes, and I have a VPN Client. When I'm at home, it works perfectly on my home internet connection versus the Sprint 4G Hotspot when I'm out on site sometimes. I guess it depends on the upload speeds of my main office's connection which is something I'll be talking to our I.T. Admin about when he gets in this morning.

Thanks for your time to read and discuss in advance.

The good news is, we got the job! The bad news is...we got the job!

Sorry Tanner, I got nothing to offer but congrats on a job that big. If you need curtain wall, call me!

I would make each zoned area a division. What type of internet connection will you have at your trailer? I usually would wait to do the really big and time consuming stuff at the hotel, since they usually had faster and more consistent service than what would be at the trailers.