Properties pane stuck open

CyberAngel

Has anyone else run into this situation? You're checking on dozens of objects, one after the other, keeping the Properties pane open and docked to the side. Normally the pane closes after it loses focus (you move the pointer off of it). Every so often, though, it stays open for no apparent reason. The easy way to close it is to click on the border.

Happens all the time, here. I usually select something, hit escape and click around till it closes. I use to have it transparent, but then it would stay transparent while I was clicking on stuff in the properties, the Layer Manager and Quick Calc do it also.

So would this be considered a quirk? Something that doesn't lead to errors but is a minor (if chronic) irritation. A malfunction in the software that has been there, to my knowledge, since 2008 but has never been addressed. Nobody mentions it because we know Autodesk won't do anything about it.

To me it's like a squeaky door. You let it go, you let it go, then one day it hits a nerve and you get out the WD40.

This topic may be verboten, but has anyone thought about an open source CAD package? That way these little quirks would get fixed. We've got plenty of code warriors in the community. Just imagine CAD that works the way you want it to, not vice versa.

I haven't had the properties pane do that but occasionally the format painter refuses to cancel. It's like it gets stuck in the "on" position. I usually have to hit escape several times and then click out in a blank area of the drawing about 5 times to get out of the command when it does this. Doesn't happen very often and there seems to be no predictable pattern to when or why.

Maybe the computer is not refreshing the screen due to memory conflicts. Could be a Cad vs Windows thing?

It's not that AutoCAD gets stuck. You can still work on objects on what's left of your screen. The pane has a timer, it's supposed to close within a certain interval after losing focus, and it doesn't close. It may have something to do with regaining focus before the timer expires.

It's not that AutoCAD gets stuck. You can still work on objects on what's left of your screen. The pane has a timer, it's supposed to close within a certain interval after losing focus, and it doesn't close. It may have something to do with regaining focus before the timer expires.

No, not stuck, the screen image is not being refreshed. It is probably a minimally functioning graphics card. According to your computer details you are running a Dell Optiplex 330. This computer was optimized for business aplications rather than graphics. When it was available Dell didn't even mention graphics in its information. Unless you've upgraded the graphics card, the integrated graphics is probably using the system memory rather than it's own dedicated memory and just getting hosed up.