The best way to enlarge a rectangle

khoshravan

I have drawn a rectangle, using the rectangle command.

Now I want to enlarge it only in one edge. I wanted to use those small squares (Don't remember their name), however I find out that there is no middle square to move one edge.

It only moves the corner and shape become un rectangle.:x

The only way I find is, to explode to lines, move one line and extend other two edges, which is not a clever solution.

1) 1 What do you suggest?

2) 2 Is there any way to show those small rectangles in the middle of the rectangle?

:unsure:

Stretch command. Or use Hot Grips by holding shift and select the two grips. The will turn red.

Autocad 2011 has the midpoint grip for polylines including rectangles. It is a nice addition.

Now I want to enlarge it only in one edge. I wanted to use those small squares (Don't remember their name), however I find out that there is no middle square to move one edge.

After you draw the rectangle, add auto constraints to it (command: _AutoConstrain) and then when you stretch a corner grip, it will maintain its shape.

constraints.gif

Stretch command. Or use Hot Grips by holding shift and select the two grips. The will turn red.

Autocad 2011 has the midpoint grip for polylines including rectangles. It is a nice addition.

Using hot Grips by shift key was a nice method. thanks

I use ACAD2011 and am looking for the solution you mentioned but middle hot grip is not present. Only 4 hot grips in 4 corner is visible.

After you draw the rectangle, add auto constraints to it (command: _AutoConstrain) and then when you stretch a corner grip, it will maintain its shape.

[ATTACH]27978[/ATTACH]

Thanks. This is a nice solution too.

btw how do do you make that animation and upload it?

GRIPS variable set to 2.

Thanks. My CADver is 2010 not 2011. So its GRIPS command accepts 0 or 1.

I think as you wrote about Hot Grips, it is about ver2011. Am I write?

I believe the term "hot" refers to when you activate the grip, turning it red. Otherwise it's just a grip. So that term is as old as grips, whenever that was. Not just 2011.

Middle grip is just for 2011. You can see them in McSwain's gif above.

That alone is almost worth the upgrade price. Since I mostly draw curtain wall elevations, I stretch rectangles a lot.

• 4 weeks later...

It only moves the corner and shape become un rectangle.:x

The only way I find is, to explode to lines, move one line and extend other two edges, which is not a clever solution.

1) 1 What do you suggest?

2) 2 Is there any way to show those small rectangles in the middle of the rectangle?

:unsure:

I find a new solution.

Using shift key, I can choose more than one grips point. This way I can move entire edge of a rectangle parallel to other edge. This is what I wanted and didn't get answer.

I find a new solution.

Using shift key, I can choose more than one grips point. This way I can move entire edge of a rectangle parallel to other edge. This is what I wanted and didn't get answer.

Isn't that the same answer given in Post #2 of this thread?

Isn't that the same answer given in Post #2 of this thread?

Yes it is, but I focused only on first part and missed the second part.

• 3 years later...

Another simple way to enlarge rectangle is.. press ctrl and click on any one side of the rectangle and pick any one of the grips and simply drag it.... use ortho to work with ease....