designing gears from samples

endlasuresh

What are the specs of the worm gear that you want to draw. The gear you drew had angled teeth so that info is needed as well(assuming you do want them to be helical). From the numbers you posted here from your post #5 the pitch = module * pi = (28.5/19) * 3.14 = 4.71. Do you want me to just model up a worm drive with straight teeth on the gear and just make up numbers for the worm or do you have a gear you are trying to model after?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• endlasuresh

• shift1313

• rdharvey

• JNieman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am attaching the following image and the outer diameter is 20mm.

256597_wor.jpg

I think their are two type of drawing this pitch on worm.Either by cut or emboss methods.

• 2 weeks later...

alright suresh. I was able to make a little time and i made two videos. One for drawing the spur gear and one for the worm gear. Let me know if you have any questions.

http://www.mymlcservices.com/index.php?option=com_hwdvideoshare&task=viewvideo&Itemid=40&video_id=336

http://www.mymlcservices.com/index.php?option=com_hwdvideoshare&task=viewvideo&Itemid=40&video_id=337

I have drawn in separate drawing but trying to mate, they are not getting in the right direction.I mean when i want to rotate one item both rotates. I have seen some where told how to rotate without rotating second object.

Also i am not getting dimensions between teeth.

Please see there are Red lines which i need measurement.

imageshack.us/photo/my-images/199/wormm.jpg/

Suresh, i am not understanding the problem. Are you mating them in an Assembly? what type of mate are you using?

What view are you trying to dimension? You wont be able to dimension that view you have. You will most likely need a side view or a section view. Who are you dimensioning these for and what type of manufacturing for that gear?

i am trying to mate them in assembly. Whenever i insert the components in assembly they can be placed in one direction only. If I want to rotate any gear both are rotating.I am thinking to mate them in coincident,but however i want to rotate the other gear first.

I have been using as the normal drawings view ill check again and report back here. The gear was to be made with polymer either by nylon or Delrin. i am giving this measurements to be done in lathe turning machine.

Edit:

where is the section view?

i am trying to mate them in assembly. Whenever i insert the components in assembly they can be placed in one direction only. If I want to rotate any gear both are rotating.I am thinking to mate them in coincident,but however i want to rotate the other gear first.

I have been using as the normal drawings view ill check again and report back here. The gear was to be made with polymer either by nylon or Delrin. i am giving this measurements to be done in lathe turning machine.

Edit:

where is the section view?

Section view is on the "view layout" tab at the top. If you havent added anything to that tool bar it will be the 5th one.

As far as mates you will need to apply some advanced/mechanical mates for your gears. You will need something to locate both gears so they rotate on their own. You may end up needing some path mates or something to get it to work. Did you see how i did that in a motion study in the video? You can also use physical dynamics.

I used section view, but it is not allowing to measure between the teeth. Is their any type to find the measurements?

Ill find some tutorial regarding advanced mates but i think it wil take more time for learning.

I seen your video several times but the gear which i had it will give problems.I will draw a new gear from your gear video.

Edit :

I completed both gear and worm gear, but in the videos it shows you are using assembly. Can you tell me how to do this assembly?

Edited by endlasuresh

matt

I have designed but in the video you didnot showed how to mate them can you please tell me how to do as i am looking to draw sprocket and had few questions on this gear.

There are a few basic mates you need so the gears will stay in position and rotate. In a motion study you just apply a motor to one of the gears and a Cam mate between the two. If you go back and watch the video I did on the chain/sprockets on that site the procedure and mates are the same except the contact is between two gears and not a sprocket/chain.

ps, i just cleared out my inbox, it said a PM from you didnt go through.