Any Reasons AutoCAD is pausing?

tennis4you

My AutoCAD seems to have delays (5-6 seconds) when moving back and forth between files and when I create a new file. Is it typical that it takes that long? It doesn't always do it, but 75% of the time it does it. It always opens the drawing 100% and then freezes for a time frame.

I should also note I am very new to AutoCAD and I have no plug ins or any kind of add-ons either.

Edited by tennis4you

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tennis4you

• ReMark

• Glen1980

• Cad64

Is it in all drawings or particular ones?

How large are the files/drawings and how many Layout tabs (along the bottom of the drawing) are in them? I have found with LT in the past that the more viewports and layouts are in a drawing the slower it will be at loading.

3 Layout Tabs and the drawings are small, a house just in the design phase. I do have a file x-ref'd into each layout though, I wonder if that is an issue.

The ones I had pause after loading had one massive x-ref of curtain walling plans and elevations. Stupidly large amounts of details for a 1:50. Have you tried purge and audit? It's a long shot but can work sometimes.

My AutoCAD seems to have delays (5-6 seconds) when moving back and forth between files
How are you doing this?

... and when I create a new file.
How are you doing this?

I guess I should remove the 3 files being x-ref'd in and see how it goes and I will respond. Those 3 files are just different sized borders.

having removed the 3 X-ref files from the drawings things seemed to have sped up. I will let you guys know if it start happening again.

Thanks!

I know at one point in the past I had to disable my automatic updates through windows as it was causing a 'similar' problem.

Ok, it is still happening, it seems to happen when I use my border file. The border file is about 600Kb which is not small but not huge. I wonder if my logo is too big of a file size??? It's not an image, I drew it in CAD.

Anti Virus is MicroSoft Security Essentials.

Nothing is stored on External Drive.

Going back to ReMarks question, are you using annotative text, dims or hatching? Having too many scales in the scales list can slow things down.

When you say border is that the border and title block? 600kb sounds a lot for a title sheet, if it is does it have picture files attached?

Not using any annotative stuff that I know of...

And yeah, my border is my title block.

In terms of scales, I have a lot listed, but typically only using 1, maybe 2 at the most. It is even pausing 5-10 seconds when I switch from model space to layout. and vis versa. I bet it is the logo. grrrr

PM me your email addy I have a pdf file that someone put on the forum for speeding up AutoCAD. It has some good tips like removing scales you aren't using, that may help. I've adjusted my machine some much for performance that XP and 7 both look like Windows 95 now! I'm looking at trying to get the powers that be to change our title block to among other things get rid of the bitmap of the company logo especially as I have an excellent cad version of ours.

I am still having issues with this. I have purged my title block and that made the title block smaller but that has not solved the issue, it helped a little though. Seems like the more I put on a sheet the more bogged down it gets. I have a new pc and my drawings are smaller drawings with only a few x-refs.

The border file is about 600Kb which is not small but not huge. I wonder if my logo is too big of a file size??? It's not an image, I drew it in CAD.

Actually, 600kb is pretty large for a CAD file, especially if it's just a title block drawing. I routinely work on full construction documents that are smaller than that. It could be the logo. Try deleting it and purge the drawing to see what the file size is.

Also, run an AUDIT on the drawing. I'm guessing you may have a lot of errors.

You may also want to WBLOCK the drawing entities out to a new file. There could be corruption in the file or maybe just a lot of junk bogging it down. WBLOCK will give you a fresh start.

I had done the audit with 0 errors. I also resolved the fact that it is not the logo. After the purge the files got smaller and I that helped but just a bit. I followed some "Speeding Up AutoCAD" instructions and turned off something int he control panel for Windows 7, that has sped things up a lot. Windows does not quite look the same, but for now AutoCAD seems happier.