Any Reasons AutoCAD is pausing?

tennis4you

Any chance I could send someone my template file and 24"x36" title block file to see if anyone sees anything funky that I am missing?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tennis4you

• ReMark

• Glen1980

• Cad64

What I'd HIGHLY discourage is even looking at the word "Defrag". It is literally like a placebo which is also addictive and toxic. . . . Thus after a defrag your PC runs a bit faster for no more than a week, then it's actually slower than before - thus you now need to defrag again. And the more you defrag the quicker your hdd will destroy itself through over-use.

Really? I think that's the first time I've ever heard anyone say this. :?

I guess if you were defragging once a week or more it might be harmful, but I typically defrag about twice a year. I don't see how that would be so devastating? :unsure:

That I have not done. I assume I can do that through AutoCAD?

I occasionally go to Autodesk web page. They tend to make it dificult to find though!

I guess if you were defragging once a week or more it might be harmful, but I typically defrag about twice a year. I don't see how that would be so devastating? :unsure:

Do some research for yourself. I'm not going to try and convince anyone.

The "general" quote you get is: "Excessive defrag is harmful to your HDD, but especially to a SSD." This because a HDD has a certain maximum amount of times it can be overwritten (less times with SSD), but also due to the mechanical wear on the gears and arms. The question I ask is "What is excessive?" ... is it if I defrag every time I notice the PC goes slower? If so then yes, I need to do it once a week. And generally it's considered excessive if you do it more than once in 3 months.

If you want more info on this, start with wikipedia, then do some further googling (don't trust just one site). NTFS is not a holy-grail (by a long shot), but it's less of a poison bucket than FAT was. I've looked for defraggers which don't screw-up the system, but thus far my best performance is when I move the fragmented files off the disc then move them back - that way NTFS arranges them with some room for growth. What I'd like to see is a defragger which rearranges the disc in such a way as to allow these gaps between growable files. You're usually lucky to get this if you only defrag the files and not the free space using any defragger, but you can't could on it.

The one I know of which comes closest is Norton's SpeedDisk: basically it checks which files were modified latest, places those in the middle. Those read latest are placed at the front. Those which has neither been read / modified lately is placed at the back. Though it still just packs then together in these groups without any gaps in between - i.e. the modified group constantly becomes fragmented again and again. If you can point me in a defragger which avoids, rather than repairs fragmentation - please let me know. I've tried numerous ones before (Windows's built-in, DiscKeeper, UltraDefrag, OODefrag, etc.), not yet found one to work as it should.

One thing which is usually the most costly culprit on NTFS is the MFT. See this discussion on how to improve NTFS performance: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc767961.aspx

I agree with most of that, except where they keep on advocating defragging. Just follow the process logically and then think about how this will get rearranged through use and you'll understand why it's not such a good idea.

"Excessive defrag is harmful to your HDD . . ."

Enough said. You are talking about excessive defragging. I'm talking about once or twice a year.

Edited by Cad64
Spelling

And probably the only time you will hear it. General rule I have seen most is once a month for defrag.

And the more you defrag the quicker your hdd will destroy itself through over-use.
That is totally false.

That's an interesting article, but the funny thing is that not only did that article not mention defragging being harmful to your computer, it actually stated that with Vista and Win7, defragging is handled automatically on a weekly basis. Wouldn't that be considered excessive?

I have been searching online since yesterday and still have not found any documentation that defragging is harmful to your computer.

That's an interesting article, but the funny thing is that not only did that article not mention defragging being harmful to your computer, it actually stated that with Vista and Win7, defragging is handled automatically on a weekly basis. Wouldn't that be considered excessive?

I have been searching online since yesterday and still have not found any documentation that defragging is harmful to your computer.

I have never heard of defrag being harmful to HD, definitely harmful for SSD. I would assume the extra spinning and read/writes would reduce its life somewhat but then the defrag will cause it to work less after the defrag.

The article seems to contradict itself now doesn't it? Defrag doesn't help but Win7 will do it once a week on Wednesday at 1AM.

Edited by rkent
added words, removed words

And the more you defrag the quicker your hdd will destroy itself through over-use.

(Now that work is out of the way for a moment) Think about that statement. True the hard drive will run a while when defragging, but it will run a lot more trying to locate fragmented files (fact, look on your own posts). That is the reason Linux stores the files closer to the center (kinda, sorta, best way to explain it), therefore making even fragmented files a bit quicker to locate. Yes, Linux (and MAC) need/can/should be defragged, though not as much as Windows and they do not come with a defrag program and since performance losses are not as noticeable, many do not (sorta fact and some personal educated opinion on my part).

So, as an example, if I defrag weekly (I don't, usually monthly), I will have less files to move, defragging will be quicker and hard drive will run less, throughout the week my drive will not be fragmented, hard drive will locate file quicker, run less.

And you never will. :thumbsup:

I still have working hard drives on some PIIIs that were defragged on a weekly basis for 5 years.