How much time spent on a model

njcc13_3

Hi guys

im new to this forum and i have a question about inventor.

is there a way to know ho much time i have spent on a modell or assembly?

Ive been making some changes in some parts but i need to know if its really worth it, and how much modelling or editing time it takes.

thank you very much

and sorry for my bad english

I just started using Inventor and cannot say for sure but there does not seem to be an Elapsed Time Tracker like we have in AutoCAD.

This is a very ambiguous feature no matter which application you use it in. In AutoCAD lets say you open up a drawing at 9:00 AM and work on it for one hour before being called out into the field to do some inspections. You return to your desk at 11:30 AM only to be called out into the shop to discuss some dimesions with one of the assemblers. Then your co-workers invite you to lunch and you get back to your desk at 1:20 PM. You work on the drawing until 5:00 PM and then close the drawing. So you only spent 3 maybe 4 hours working in the drawing but the elapsed timer registers 8 hours. Unless you work at your desk the full 8 hours its really hard to use this feature anyway.

I just started using Inventor and cannot say for sure but there does not seem to be an Elapsed Time Tracker like we have in AutoCAD.

This is a very ambiguous feature no matter which application you use it in. In AutoCAD lets say you open up a drawing at 9:00 AM and work on it for one hour before being called out into the field to do some inspections. You return to your desk at 11:30 AM only to be called out into the shop to discuss some dimesions with one of the assemblers. Then your co-workers invite you to lunch and you get back to your desk at 1:20 PM. You work on the drawing until 5:00 PM and then close the drawing. So you only spent 3 maybe 4 hours working in the drawing but the elapsed timer registers 8 hours. Unless you work at your desk the full 8 hours its really hard to use this feature anyway.

That's true. The drafter must turn the timer on and off, for it to be accurate. I just looked at a drawing I started in March 2010. Once finished, after 23 hrs., I opened it once or twice a week for what seems like months to make small revisions. The thing now carries almost 6 months of editing time. Too bad I can't charge the client by the Timer.:cry:

You could try my CadTempo program - the link to it is in my signature. It is designed to work with AutoCAD, AcadLT, Inventor, Revit and other CAD programs.

As some others have pointed out there are some pitfalls in AutoCAD's timer (I know you are talking Inventor).

Cadtempo considers most (if not all) of the concerns pointed out. It will record the total elapsed time you have a drawing (or .ipt, or .iam or .rvt, etc.) open - and it will time the actual edit time that the user is really doing something.

Once it is set up it is all automatic - you don't have to start and stop the timers. And you can easily view the time in the browser and get a total of all the files in a folder.