A way to "slice" a Polyface Mesh?

tzframpton

Here's the file: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4989089/slice.dwg

I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to separate a Polyface Mesh at a particular point. I would like to use the SLICE command but it's not working. I tried SUBTRACT on the solid but no can do either. Is there a way to do this? I have a huge structural floorplan, and I want to divide it up into sections so when XREF'ed in my drawing I can load it in piece by piece, saving a huge performance hit. Thanks in advance.

Tanner,

The original mesh can't be sliced like a solid. It can however be copied -> exploded into face and then have the faces be divided along a single straight axis or flat plane. It takes an involved lsp routine but can be done.

This is from 1998. And needs updating badly. But might be of help. -David

SLICEFA.LSP

Tanner,

The original mesh can't be sliced like a solid. It can however be copied -> exploded into face and then have the faces be divided along a single straight axis or flat plane. It takes an involved lsp routine but can be done.

This is from 1998. And needs updating badly. But might be of help. -David

Awesome!! It worked, thanks for this golden routine David. It will be apart of my collection from here on out since steel fabricators always export their models in a Polyface Mesh. Many many thanks. ;)

Glad it worked

I do need to update that one badly. I use it fairly regularly and just haven't spent the time to do it. maybe this will encourage me -David

Well, it could have an option retain the original entities layer names. The SLICE[123 ] scenario can also be useful.

Also it might have an option to do multiple direction. Slice everything east of this point and west of that point....

It knows nothing about LWPOLYLINES or any of the 'Newer" entity types.

I'm sure there would be other things that jump out as soon as you start digging into something that old. 'Why in the world did I do that?' kinda thing.

Regards -David

Picking a pline as the slicing reference plane would be nice too. This way, the areas I've created in Plan View to match the architectural key plan would be an exact cut from file to file. Just a thought but for now this works beautifully. ;)

• 6 years later...

Years later...... I found a need for this and wondered if you found time to update your lisp file to slice a polymesh. Here I am using Acad 2017 and still no command to do so. I found a free tool called Meshmagic by NCH that can do it but it requires an import and a convert, so who knows what quality, colors, materials you lose in that task. I don't use poly meshes but Acad imports from 3ds as that, at least the objects I tested.

Thanks!

Well, it could have an option retain the original entities layer names. The SLICE[123 ] scenario can also be useful.

Also it might have an option to do multiple direction. Slice everything east of this point and west of that point....

It knows nothing about LWPOLYLINES or any of the 'Newer" entity types.

I'm sure there would be other things that jump out as soon as you start digging into something that old. 'Why in the world did I do that?' kinda thing.

Regards -David

• 1 year later...
On 03/08/2017 at 05:22, rhgrafix said:

Years later...... I found a need for this and wondered if you found time to update your lisp file to slice a polymesh. Here I am using Acad 2017 and still no command to do so. I found a free tool called Meshmagic by NCH that can do it but it requires an import and a convert, so who knows what quality, colors, materials you lose in that task. I don't use poly meshes but Acad imports from 3ds as that, at least the objects I tested.

Thanks!

Hi all,

Another two years into the future...I have similar task in hand and could really make use of the lisp mentioned in the thread.

Any chance of re-uploading the file?

Maciej