Creating iregular walls

FIFTHTEXAS

HI

What is the best way to creat walls for buildings with a gabled roof? or irregular roof. walls rise to an apex and angled, is it best to select height of building and creat walls rectangular say all level. then edit each wall, sketch the angle of slope of roof. or is there a better way. have a building where ends of building are bricked to apex, then angled to slope of roof, whats the best method?

thanks

One way you can do that is after you've laid out your walls and roof, switch to the 3d view and select the wall you wish to modify. Then on the options bar you will see two buttons appear next to the words "top/base". click "attach" and pick the roof. It will fill your wall in for you up to the gable or what ever, with no need to modify the sketch.

You can do that in the plan view too, but it's easier to see what your doing and how it works in a 3d view.

Use that same method to attach your walls to the foundation/floor as well.

Jack's spot on, I agree.

On this we ran into, however, is scheduling and space calculations. Even though the wall is attached to the roof, the program only recognizes it from a data-standpoint a being as tall as it is defined. Meaning if you originally draw it 2 feet tall, then attach it to an 8 foot roof, Revit still only recognizes a 2 foot wall.

It was kinda weird figuring it out. It might've been when using the gbXML export as well. What we do now, is draw the walls taller than needed, that way the roof cuts the wall, then attach it and it trims the walls to the roof, in a sense.

Hope I didn't confuse you too much.

Jack's spot on, I agree.

On this we ran into, however, is scheduling and space calculations. Even though the wall is attached to the roof, the program only recognizes it from a data-standpoint a being as tall as it is defined. Meaning if you originally draw it 2 feet tall, then attach it to an 8 foot roof, Revit still only recognizes a 2 foot wall.

It was kinda weird figuring it out. It might've been when using the gbXML export as well. What we do now, is draw the walls taller than needed, that way the roof cuts the wall, then attach it and it trims the walls to the roof, in a sense.

Hope I didn't confuse you too much.

That sounds like a bug that needs reporting.

Thanks for the tip fried. I was unaware of that. Only just started using Revit myself. Very interesting bit of software, but it takes some getting used to. My 20 odd years of Autocad experience keeps getting in the way!