Adding dimensions to drawings + other probs

georgem

Hi I have just started using Autocad

I am using it for producing 2D drawings for some simple prototyping.

I am having trouble with two things -

Adding dimensions for when I print the image. At the moment I can add dimensions using the constraint tool but I cant seem to find a way to add concise dimensions specifically for printing.

Also is there a feature or a format that I can make 2d images specifically for printing? Perhaps there is a file format?

Any help really appreciated.

Cheers

There's a lot to cover setting up a Dimension Style, but the dimension tools can be found on either the Home or Annotate Ribbon tabs.

I hope that as a new AutoCAD user you are drawing your objects in model space at full scale then switching to a paperspace layout and utilizing viewports. Is that the case?

is there a feature or a format that I can make 2d images specifically for printing? Perhaps there is a file format?

You should have a set of plotters included with the standard assortment: PublishToWeb JPG, PublishToWeb PNG, and Dwg To PDF. They will produce image files to any size and resolution you specify. When you do that, however, you lose the possibility of printing to an accurate scale.

Hi I have just started using Autocad

Adding dimensions for when I print the image. At the moment I can add dimensions using the constraint tool but I cant seem to find a way to add concise dimensions specifically for printing.

If you're using Dimensional Constraints you have to make them Annotative to have them print. I don't use Constraints often. I just use the dimensions on the Annotate tab of the ribbon. Remember to set up your own Dimension Styles and not just edit the Standard Dimstyle.

Also is there a feature or a format that I can make 2d images specifically for printing? Perhaps there is a file format?

Autocad's main file format is the .dwg. As mentioned, it is in your Plot Dialog, Plotters, Plot Styles that will dictate whether you print to pdf, paper, jpg or whatever else you might want.