Advice on Switching from Inventor 2010 to 2012

nchaplin

Hi everyone, just wondered if there is any huge differences/ benefits of changing from Inventor 2010 to 2012. My boss has the offer to get an upgrade to 2012 but if he doesn't do it now then if he wishes to do it in the future it would cost allot more. Anyone else been in this situation or upgraded without any problems. any advice or pointing me in the right direction would be great thanks. :D

Nathan

The really Big changes in 2012 are graphics related, In terms of productivity enhancing tools - no so much.

I would suggest that upgrading to 2012 would be a great idea, if your machine is running windows 7 and has a decent graphics card. If your machine won't support the new features in 2012 then you will need to factor in the cost of the hardware upgrade as well.

Finally, is this just Inventor 2012 - or is it the Product Design Suite 2012, which includes a lot more cool toys to play with!

The really Big changes in 2012 are graphics related, In terms of productivity enhancing tools - no so much.

I would suggest that upgrading to 2012 would be a great idea, if your machine is running windows 7 and has a decent graphics card....

Will need to double check if it was the product design suite. My machine runs windows Vista so maybe its not such a great idea but I think I do have access to Windows 7 if needed. I will need to have another discussion with my boss I think but thanks for the Info Pablo, I see you are still using 2010 or have you got both ? Also my machine struggles a bit when in Inventor Studio so I guess it would struggle even more with 2012.

what are the spec's of your machines? autodesk do show the minimum requirement on their website...

Like pablo said 2012 isnt much different unless you get the product design suite! i want it just for showcase!

There is a lot of productivity gains over the last two years, just not everyone needs them, they are more niche enhancements like FEA, Tooling (Plastic Mold work), Plastic Parts, Large Assembly Management (if you have over 1500 parts in a design), BIM Export, Speed and Performance changes, In canvas controls which does increase productivity once adopted, and above all iLogic for rule driven configurations.

As said above lots of nice tools have been added and ease of use also improved alot, huge graphic difference now it has ray tracing. The what's new is now on the Wicki page as they have done away with the old what's new .PDF (always like that). FEA has been made easier to use. Download a 30 day trial and have a look then ask the boss yo buy it for you :)

I'm still relatively new to Inventor but I am running 2012. In learning how to use the software I got access to a couple of books which were for 2010 and 2011. I did find that some of the processes they defined in using the older versions were not applicable to 2012. Not many but still enough that you should be aware there will be new ways of doing things with 2012 vs 2010.