Export BOM with Thumbnails

alijahed

Hi All,

Probably, it is a very common question. How can I export BOM with thumbnails?

Apparently, Inventor doesn't have this feature!

In that case, I think it is a serious problem with Inventor. I found it very stupid even, Why it doesn't have 'Print' button on the BOM window!

Cheers

AJ

Inventor Publisher has this feature, but that is another product.

I have found there really is no need for the thumbnails in a BOM export as this is mainly done for dump to ERP, MRP, or procurement software.

You can put this on the Autodesk wish list if you think other people will vote for it though. In 5 years of support with Inventor I have only been asked this twice. Three if you include this thread.

For the time being you can use Print Screen and get your BOM window with the Thumbnail.

The BOM is a view of the database that is held inside the assembly file. It is not intended that you print it. The print formatted version of the BOM is placed on drawing sheets.

You can export the BOM and you can export the Parts List.

The Inventor API also allows access to the BOM for ERP and PLM systems.

Check this Out:

http://modthemachine.typepad.com/my_weblog/2010/02/parts-list-with-thumbnail-image.html

• 2 months later...

Mate,

I have Publisher 2012 in front of me but you can just export the part list in CSV format without no thumbnail!

Can you please guide me through?

Cheers

AJ

Inventor Publisher has this feature, but that is another product.

I have found there really is no need for the thumbnails in a BOM export as this is mainly done for dump to ERP, MRP, or procurement software.

You can put this on the Autodesk wish list if you think other people will vote for it though. In 5 years of support with Inventor I have only been asked this twice. Three if you include this thread.

For the time being you can use Print Screen and get your BOM window with the Thumbnail.

In Publisher you create the Parts List as an object in your presentation which can be linked into Microsoft Word or output to Powerpoint. There is no direct export just for Parts List with Thumbnail unless you create it in there first.

You might want to use the above link for the extra add in. I have tried it and it works pretty well.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

It is disappointing to see the question has been dismissed saying "i do not find the need to do so". Having thumbnails in a BOM can have different uses based on what one is trying to do with it. Besides there are apps / add-ons that can do this. If there were "no need to do this", why would anyone invest time in developing an app to do this and put a price tag on it?

It wasn't "dismissed". I basically stated the point that the majority of users do NOT need this function due to some standard business practices and that it is not part of Inventor at this time.

If users really wanted it, the IdeaStation is the gauge at which to identify usage by the user base.

• 4 months later...

Found this on another site. With this VB code, I was able to export BOM with thumbnails to word rather than excel. It is a matter of resizing the excel cells and copy - pasting table from word to excel.

Downside is it works of a drawing and needs an active partlist in drawing.

Hope this helps.

http://modthemachine.typepad.com/my_weblog/2010/02/parts-list-with-thumbnail-image.html

Cheers

GR