update reference files prompt when I open a drawing

d4vidt

when I open a drawing which has been prepared by a colleague I get a prompt thet reference file require to be updated and I have to relocate the image files each time.

why is this happening ? and how do I switch it off ?

When you attach an xref, you have three options for path type: full, relative, or none. If your colleague did a proper job of attaching the images, you shouldn't get that message. The way to "switch it off" is to locate the images in a folder that is accessible to everyone who opens the drawing and to define the attachments accordingly.

attachments are stored in a common server folder and inserted into the drawing using the map/image /insert menu by myself and colleague.

Make sure that the network folder is mapped the same on each workstation and that in the AutoCAD options that folder is in the support files. You can also check with the map image options "mapioptions".

all workstations are mapped to the same network folder.

I believe there must be a setting within autocad which is different in one workstation as this has only recently occurred with a new installation and transfer of licence.

all workstations are mapped to the same network folder.

I believe there must be a setting within autocad which is different in one workstation as this has only recently occurred with a new installation and transfer of licence.

In the Options, File tab, under Support File Search Path, is the folder listed there, or under the Project File search Path?