Suggestion for profile info display...

Patrick Hughes

Very often when viewing a post I am left wondering what discipline the poster is involved in. It could hold sway on what content may be given in an answer.

Can this be added to to a profile and displayed along with the Using, Join date, Location etc.?

Thoughts?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CADTutor

• Patrick Hughes

• Tyke

• ReMark

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think many users have no idea what's inside the little black box they call "their computer" but they should have a damn good idea what discipline they work in.

I think many users have no idea what's inside the little black box they call "their computer" but they should have a damn good idea what discipline they work in.

Sometimes I wonder. :? I am not really sure what I would put in my Profile, I have to work in all disciplines.

And they can fill it out along with the Computer Details that no one bothers to fill out.

:oops: I'm thinking a discipline field might be more pertinent to a majority of posts.

Sometimes I wonder. :? I am not really sure what I would put in my Profile, I have to work in all disciplines.

Yes, however you and Mark are more of an answerer type than questioner type. If it were filled out you may be able to provide a more targeted answer.

There's stuff inside that box?:shock:

I can be pretty undisciplined at times. My wife reminds me of it constantly.

Sounds like a good idea to me.

OK, I can certainly make that an option so that it will show up only if the value has been entered in the users profile. Do you think it should be a drop-down list of pre-defined options or should the user be able to enter their own text?

Joining in now I would say generic drop down would be far more useful. If it is to assist us giving answers having somebody put "flanged sproggle brackets" as their field could alienate all but a few where machinery would have a wider audience. Do you have room for both? Once somebody has selected the general field they can then add their own sub category.

A drop down list with an option to enter some other field that's not in the list. Most people would rather select from a list rather than type something in and if this option is right at the bottom, most would have selected an option before it got that far. Do we also need sub categories eg Electrical - PCBs or Electrical - Supply Networks; or Surveying - Utilities or Surveying - Roads and Sewers. Just a thought, it depends how much information you want to see and if it would help.

A drop down list with an option to enter some other field that's not in the list. Most people would rather select from a list rather than type something in and if this option is right at the bottom, most would have selected an option before it got that far. Do we also need sub categories eg Electrical - PCBs or Electrical - Supply Networks; or Surveying - Utilities or Surveying - Roads and Sewers. Just a thought, it depends how much information you want to see and if it would help.

If possible the sub categories would be beneficial as well. :thumbsup:

I think I'll put "Detective" as my profession and "Fact Finder" as my sub-category. :P

Seriously though, on a side note, weren't we talking about having 3 programs listed in our profile? Or a main program and a secondary program? Can we still do that? I know most of us use, and are proficient with, more than one program.

I think I'll put "Detective" as my profession and "Fact Finder" as my sub-category. :P

Seriously though, on a side note, weren't we talking about having 3 programs listed in our profile? Or a main program and a secondary program? Can we still do that? I know most of us use, and are proficient with, more than one program.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I wouldn't mine adding "other software" or something. It if it was just listed under "Computer Details", so many have Civil, Mechanical, Inventor etc. yet they come with AutoCAD and many never mention the software the question is for.

I would like the option to select "Undisciplined" :ouch: