TSI Cad-duct or East Coast Cad-Cam (MEP)

bobatwell

I have used the search function to find some information on this topic but the most recent stuff I found was from late 2009 and most likely outdated.

We are a small to midsized sheet metal fabrication shop that has several seat licenses for AutCad (2011). We are considering moving into a 3D software for ductwork drawings. We currently use inventor for our solid modeling but have not done any 3D drawing of duct.

Can anyone give me opinions on why TSI Cad-duct or East Coast Cad-Cam (MEP) is better or worse for our company?

I cant speak for Cad-Duct or East Coast however Virtual Mechanical is a solid option.

Edited by Tiger
removed adress

Can anyone give me opinions on why TSI Cad-duct or East Coast Cad-Cam (MEP) is better or worse for our company?

We use CAD-Duct at my company. The only piece of advice that I'll offer is this: the CAD designer will now be required to become the person who does the sheet metal takeoffs for your fab shop. The templates will be a daunting task to set up for all the different types of gauge metals, connections, fittings, etc. To me, for most jobs, it's still better to manually import them into a fab software from a paper takeoff. Just remember, in AutoCAD you have to draw the entire job, every piece of fitting, duct, offset, transition and more before you output to the plasma. This is the only thing I would be concerned with, especially if you're a small to midsized sheet metal fab shop, considering the amount of time involved to use this software.

We work on much larger projects so CAD-Duct is beneficial to us.