xref issue

DANIEL

my co-worker is having yet another strange CAD issue, we have certain drawings that reference other drawings with nested references, the referenced file also contains the same border which is also referenced, when attempting to bind the references, the border which is not a nested refeence to the file is also bound, in all my years of using this system we have never encountered this issue before. Anyone know whats causing this?

fyi, he's using autocad 2004

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DANIEL

• Jack_O'neill

• DNK

• SLW210

uh...say what?

you have drawings that reference other drawings that reference still yet other drawings. Somewhere in this stack is a border that's also a reference, and you've referenced it in again at the top level, is that what you're saying?

we have certain drawings that reference other drawings with nested references, the referenced file also contains the same border which is also referenced, when attempting to bind the references, the border which is not a nested refeence to the file is also bound

we do our borders in paperspace so that we can xref the model space with out a border.

drawing 1-base file

drawing 2-sheet file with drawing 1 xref'd into model space and the border referenced into paperspace

drawing 3-sheet file with drawing 2 xref'd into model space and the border reference into paperspace

I don't know if that helps at all as its a douzy to try and explain lol, I'll see if i can get a screen shot of my co-workers reference manger.

Why not just put the border in paperspace as a block or attribute and cut out one level of xref's altogether?

Why not just put the border in paperspace as a block or attribute and cut out one level of xref's altogether?

because it allows us to edit the title block information once, instead of 200+ times when the project or customer information needs updated or changed, we have another block that is inserted with drawing specific information in the form of attributes.

here's what it looks like when he starts and is attempting to bind everything acept the border.

REF1.jpg

he then selects everything accept the border, hits bind and then ok. it then looks like this.

REF2.jpg

when he re-enters the xref command it then looks like this.

REF3.jpg

Is "border_v" attached to any of those other drawings as well as this one? If it is, it would get bound by being nested, would it not?

Is "border_v" attached to any of those other drawings as well as this one? If it is' date=' it would get bound by being nested, would it not?[/quote']

yes its nest and attached to the file in use but ... we've been doing this for 7-8-9 years or something ... this is the first time anyone around here has ecountered this.

hmmm....I dunno then. I hate xrefs. I use them only when forced to. I very rarely use one when I create drawings and I try never to nest them when I do. Invariably someone will put A into B, then B into C and C into D. By the time you get a dozen levels deep somebody will delete C and it screws up 9 other drawings. You can have a hundred people in your firm that knows how to use them properly, and let one guy come along that doesn't and it takes a week to figure out what went wrong.

hmmm....I dunno then. I hate xrefs. I use them only when forced to. I very rarely use one when I create drawings and I try never to nest them when I do. Invariably someone will put A into B' date=' then B into C and C into D. By the time you get a dozen levels deep somebody will delete C and it screws up 9 other drawings. You can have a hundred people in your firm that knows how to use them properly, and let one guy come along that doesn't and it takes a week to figure out what went wrong.[/quote']

in our case the occasional broken reference is worth it, but thats not the issue here unfortunately, that can be prevented from happening in the future via personel replacement lol.

yes its nest and attached to the file in use but ... we've been doing this for 7-8-9 years or something ... this is the first time anyone around here has ecountered this.

Can you repeat the situation on another workstation? Or is it isolated to that single user?

FWIW, I have xrefed files exactly as you have described.

Can you repeat the situation on another workstation? Or is it isolated to that single user?

FWIW, I have xrefed files exactly as you have described.

i just did it on my machine using autocad 2007 and its doing the same thing to me.

This means the titleblock is nested in one of the other (xrefed) drawings, and when it's bound so is the titleblock.

I would detach each xref one by one to determine which it is, then deal accordingly.

This means the titleblock is nested in one of the other (xrefed) drawings, and when it's bound so is the titleblock.

I would detach each xref one by one to determine which it is, then deal accordingly.

i know which files have borders as well, whats causing this, this hasnt happened before, ever.

You've got a circular reference there somewhere Daniel. A is xreffed to B, B is xreffed to C and C is xreffed to A. It won't let you do it because its already there. It may be several nests deep, but it's there somewhere. Almost has to be. I don't know why it's not detecting it and popping up the warning box, but I don't know what else it could be.

i know which files have borders as well, whats causing this, this hasnt happened before, ever.

When you xref the titleblock, is it done as an overlay?

Perhaps one of the files has it NOT as an overlay?