AEC 2011 Install questions

matt_HH

Hello there

This is my first post here so please excuse my simple questions. I have been tossed into looking after our CAD system, and am trying to get my head around everything (while still doing my usual job...:shock:).

I will be a brief as I can and explain my problem.

We have been given 10 new mobile worksations and I need to load them up with AEC 2011. A network install is not an option as our IT people do not want to manage CAD at all. Network is off the table.

Our current CAD system is very customised for our unique purposes....will hundreds of sub menu's. I would like to utilize more tool palettes (we use none right now), as they seem much more friendly.

My big question. I want to load AEC on these 10 machines with the current palettes I have created (only a few, and have the ability to add to or edit these palettes while on our local network only and not have to go to each users machine individually. Ten machines is not a huge deal, but it is very time consuming if there are any changes or updates. I would rather make the changes on my system and have the others automatically update the 'new stuff' next time they log in. Maybe this is not possible with individual installs....but I thought I would ask.

I have the first shiny new laptop (M4500) in front of me to load up....i would rather do this one correctly and make less work for myself in the future. The other 9 will be identical to this one.

Can anyone shed some light or point me in the right direction....please.

PS...Is there a "configure CAD to your standards and make it work flawlessly" key on the keyboard?.....I can't find it.....kidding of course

Matt

You have 10 individual (stand-alone) licenses?

We are on subscription. I believe that we have a batch of licenses and get notified when one is installed.

Like I said, i am still getting head around everything

It would be a lot easier to keep everyone in sync if your computers were networked. Tell IT it is their job to help you be more productive not less. If they still balk then have your boss talk to the CEO.

Have you used windows offline files? I have several laptop users (although not as many as you) and I keep al our standard stuff in a networked folder. I have each user make that folder avaliable offline and it gets updated whenever they are on the network. Initial setup just requires I set a profile on each machine to path to the correct folders.

Probably not ideal, but it is functional.