Model Space to Paper Space Rotation

emma0622

My company recently hired out some AutoCAD work. The task they completed was to load our drawings from pre-CAD days (1970s and 80s) into AutoCAD and update them with new piping and notes. Somehow, when they did this, the drawings in model space ended up sideways, but they are right-side-up in paper space. This is making it very difficult to work with the drawing in model space. A simple rotation of the entire model space drawing does not solve the problem because the xref files are correctly oriented, and they do not rotate with the added notes, etc. Also, it does not work to rotate just the notes and realign the leaders because then the drawing ends up sideways in paper space.

There must be some way to fix this, I just can't seem to figure out how. Help?

Thanks!

check your ucs rotations, you may need to make use of the PLAN command, can you post some screen shots of the model tab, paperspace tab and the base file? I may be misunderstanding your issue.

If I understand correctly, they may have used the MVSETUP (MVSETUP -> Align -> Rotate View) command to rotate the modelspace within the viewport.

Or possibly just rotating the viewport itself?

again, a visual will really help us determine what sort of help you need instead of guessing, post a cad file would be best but screen shots should be sufficient if thats not a possibility.

I think Daniel probably has it correct. In Modelspace, type UCS > [W]orld, then PLAN > [W]orld. If that doesn't fix the sideways condition, all you have to do is rotate the UCS 90 degrees in the correct direction, then use PLAN with the [C]urrent option.

Some screenshots would be help us provide more specific help, or post the drawing if it's not too large. (no need to include the xrefs)

Unfortunately, I work for a hospital, so screen shots of all kinds have been removed or disabled to protect patient privacy. I don't think UCS rotations will work because I'm working in 2D, perhaps I just don't know enough about using that command. I did try using nestly's suggestion to no avail. Let's see if I can do a better job of explaining this... The files I'm working with are traditional architecture drawings. The xrefs are floor plans. The sideways information that the external company added for me are the notes, pipes, mechanical boxes and eupiment. In model space, the drawing title, legends, notes, leaders, etc. are all sideways. I have no idea how the other company even accomplished this, but I think it might have been a result of having to scan the paper drawings into their computer system. And again, somehow, it all appears correctly within the title block in paper space. The main issue is that when you try to add a feature in model space, you have to rotate it sideways (90 degrees) for it to appear correctly in paper space. I would like to get images in the model space to appear right-side-up without altering their appearance in the paper space tab.

I have yet to try changing viewports. I'll let you know what happens once I've tried that.

This is a very simplistic example of the files I'm trying to fix. Many have hundreds of leaders and notes over much larger buildings. I'm thinking it is a viewport issue, but I still can't seem to figure out how to correct it.

1p1gw extra.dwg

Do you have the NAVVCUBE turned on? If so, it will show you whether the UCS has been rotated in either modelspace, or in your viewport. (North will not be at the top)

in the future i'd recommend saving the file down to an older version that way straglers like me with old versions can open it lol, even so, i do believe its a ucs thats most likely been rotated to true north, hit f1 and do a search on the PLAN command, should help.

type in ucsicon and then enter ON to turn it on, if its at an angle this is likely the issue.

I'm betting that if you type in 'plan' enter and then 'world' enter it straightens out, though it will likely need rotating back square to your cross hairs which is likely to screw with your paperspace view.

Well holy crap, the DVIEW thing worked! Thanks everyone! Great help :)

And what's even better is that I also learned about the UCS command in the process of fixing the problem. Good stuff.

This is a very simplistic example of the files I'm trying to fix. Many have hundreds of leaders and notes over much larger buildings. I'm thinking it is a viewport issue, but I still can't seem to figure out how to correct it.

In this example you would go into Modelspace and type

UCS, enter, Z, enter, 270, enter, Plan,enter, Current, enter

Yeah, they've rotated the UCS in your paperspace viewport to account for the rotated model. There are several ways to "fix" it, but the simplest is just change the Modelspace UCS and then set PLAN to [C]urrent so the Modelspace UCS and the Paperspace Viewport match.

like this http://www.screencast.com/t/CAGgY55yfU

If you want to always work on the WCS (world coordinate system) rotate everything in modelspace, then rotate the UCS for your Paperspace viewport.

The downfall of only using DVIEW is that it only twists your view, so X and Y aren't "left" and "up" relative to your screen.

Sorry, Daniel. I'll change my method next time I need to upload a file. Thanks for letting me know, and for your help. Much appreciated.

For future reference on this issue, the UCS method put forth by nestly does work, but it's acutally faster (at least for my particular problem) to use the DVIEW command suggested by Kremer.

That video posted by nestly is a very clear way to learn more about the UCS function.