DraftSight crashes when I click on the screen

Lutherman

I just installed this free software, which works a lot like AutoCad, with a command line so I don't have to fish for icons and sort through menus.

I like it a lot.

But it crashes consistently when I click on the screen. For example, if I try to select a zoom window, or if I click on the screen for no reason. I found that it does not crash if I am working in the linear dimensioning command, when I click on the screen.

I have Vista, which is going to change soon. I wonder if that's the real problem. People don't seem to have too many complaints about this program.

Did you check first to even see if it was compatible with Vista?

Is anything compatible with Vista? From what I hear, Vista isn't even compatible with Vista!

On a serious note, I'd bet that's your problem. I have Draftsight here too. Haven't used it a lot, but on my XP machine, it's never missed a lick. No crashes, no bugs, nothing. Played around with it and Doublecad both for a while. I like Draftsight better. Liked Bricscad even better, but you do have to buy it.

Did you check first to even see if it was compatible with Vista?

Yes I did check, it is supposed to be compatible. Maybe it will work better when I upgrade to Windows 7.

What are your computer specs?

Minimum system requirements for Draftsight:

--Microsoft Windows Vista® (Enterprise, Business, Ultimate, Home Premium), Microsoft

Windows XP® Professional or Home Edition operating systems, Microsoft Windows® 7

--Intel® Pentium® 4 processor or AMD Athlon® dual-core processor, 3.0 GHz or greater

--1 GB RAM

--150 MB free disk space for installation

--1,024 x 768 VGA display with true color

-- High color (16 bit) Graphics Card

-- Microsoft® Internet Explorer® 7.0 web browser or later

-- Internet connection for activation and services offered within the DraftSight Community

I downloaded ProgeCAd 2009 and it seems to be very similar and apparently works, but I read that it won't work when I get Windows 7.

Thanks. It looks like my laptop falls short on the Vista version, I have Home Basic. Also the Intel I have is only 1.6 GHz. Also my hard drive is nearly full. I'll get an external hard drive for storing files, and install Windows 7, then try again. For now ProgeCad 2009 might work. I wonder if the underpowered processor is why this laptop has always run slow. I forgot to check that when buying it.

"It looks like my laptop falls short on the Vista version..."

Sometimes people just assume their computers will run just about anything that can be loaded on them with no problem. Then they get a reality check. Time for an upgrade.

Well I have Vista Home running on a 2.66 GHz P4 w/ 1GB DDR and it boots up under 1 minute and runs very smoothly.

As for their question yes DraftSight should run under Vista just fine. As for the application crashing I would check my ram or video 1st. I had DS running on my system when I had XP and it ran just fine.