Duplicate objects due to Editing Blocks

CrewChief003

I have a site plan from another .dwg that I copied with base point and inserted into my .dwg as a block. To edit this block in my .dwg I Rt. Click-Edit Block in Place, then use the Refedit Toolbar to save my changes. It seems each time I edit the block the linework, circles, etc. are duplicated; resulting in several duplicate objects stacked on top of each other within my block. I exploded the block, used the drawing cleanup tool and it found 37,000+ duplicate objects to delete! This happened before in another .dwg. I am running AutoCAD Civil3D Land Desktop Companion 2009, I also have an EaglePoint plug-in that we use to download our data if that helps.

Any suggestions to remedy this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Some questions to narrow down a diagnosis. Did you try the "drawing cleanup tool" before editing the block? What kind of "drawing cleanup tool" did you use? Did you try using the Block Editor instead of editing in place? How are you editing those objects that get duplicated?

By the way, welcome to the forum!

I have never used the "Edit Block in Place" function. Is it possible to simply double click the block and use "Block Editor"?

Is the block duplicated? Or the geometry inside the block?

You could SELECT ALL and then type OVERKILL. That ought to clean the excess geometry.

Thank-you for the Welcome!

I had done all the block editing using the "Edit block in Place" command, then saving my changes with the RefEdit toolbar. The block seemed to just copy the linework within itself...still just one block but objects one on top of the other. I did not use the double click, Edit Block Definition method. To remedy the problem I exploded the block, used the cleanup tool (clicked the big red 'A'-Map-Tools-Drawing Cleanup), which erased 30,210 duplicate objects, then re-created a new block with the cleaned up site plan. I'm just banging my head to find out how this happened in the first place...it turns into a real time killer!

30,000 objects would certainly slow the file down. Is it possible to run that cleanup command from inside the block, rather than exploding and having to recreate it?

Cad would not let me use the Cleanup Tool inside the block. I was not aware of the Overkill command, thanks!