LISP Routine Question

mmm3535

I work in an architecture office and we are FINALLY starting to upgrade our computers. We have already purchased one computer. It is windows 7 64-bit. We use AutoCAD 2002 and the boss man wants to keep using AutoCAD 2002 because he has everything set up just the way he wants it. He is just too lazy and too worried about money to take the time to upgrade to newer versions of CAD and set them up the exact same way. I could go on and on about that. Now, to the problem at hand. I have CAD2002 installed on the new machine by doing the XP virtual machine. However, we have a LISP routine that was made years ago for CAD2002 and now it isn't working on the new machine. I have loaded it the same way I have done on all other machines running Windows XP Pro 32-bit. If any one has any possible solutions or needs more information from me please let me know. I would like to get this problem fixed so he gets off of my back. Thank you in advance for the assistance.

There are actually two files that we put in our startup suite. One is a lsp file and the other is an arx file. I am still fairly new to these type of files and customizing CAD. I have used CAD for years but never to the extent of customizing it. However, I have become kind of the go-to IT guy at my firm. Since, I am far from completely understanding LISP routines and the like I don't exactly know which routine does what. I do know what is supposed to happen and I know that it is not happening on the new machine. The two files are supposed to allow us to quickly go through a menu that pops up to find specific blocks that we have on our server. I should also state that the operating system on our server is Windows Small Business 2003. For some reason it will not allow me to attach the arx file, but I have attached the lsp file. I have also attached a screen shot of what the menu looks like. We get to it from a shortcut key or from the BCAD-Setup/Lib menu from the menu bar. Thank you for your assistance and let me know if you need any more info.

bcad2002.lsp

Untitled-1.jpg

First, without seeing your code there's not much help we can offer.

What specifically is the error returned at the command line?

Edit: Scratch that... just saw your post after I submitted mine. LoL

As a shot in the dark... If you're running a 32-Bit application on Windows 7 it's installed in the C:\Program File (x86)\ folder instead of C:\Program Files\ as was the case on Windows XP. This means that any code that specifically references the latter must be changed to the former in order to function.

Separately, give this a read:

CAD Management: Too Good for Your Own Good

... your 'Boss man' might learn a thing or two.

HTH

What specifically is the error returned at the command line?

Good shut Renderman .

can you please tell us what is the error message that you receive when you run the routine ?

Thanks

RenderMan_

Trust me. I have been pushing for new machines and new software since I have started here (it has been about 3 years). He is one of those people that wants everyone to do it his way or you can leave. I am too the point where I am ready to take up his offer to leave. The only problem is I have to find a new job first. Damn. Anyway, thank you for help. I do have a question for you or anyone else for that matter. What are some good books, articles, links, etc. to learn up on Lisps and the like. Again, thank you for your help. I am in the process of diving into your solution now.

The error message that I receive is error: no function definition. Hopefully that helps.

But you do not have any Vlisp functions within you attached lisp !

Is there any other lisp file that is running side by side with this one ?

Trust me. I have been pushing for new machines and new software since I have started here (it has been about 3 years). He is one of those people that wants everyone to do it his way or you can leave.

No doubt... I affectionately refer to individuals like this as a "CAD Nazi." :twisted: I can only imagine how difficult that must be day-to-day.

Sun Tzu has something special in store for them... one day.

I am too the point where I am ready to take up his offer to leave. The only problem is I have to find a new job first. Damn. Anyway, thank you for help. I do have a question for you or anyone else for that matter. What are some good books, articles, links, etc. to learn up on Lisps and the like. Again, thank you for your help. I am in the process of diving into your solution now.

I'd be happy to share all of the information I have with you... however, that would be best for another thread, perhaps in a different forum (Chat?).

The error message that I receive is error: no function definition. Hopefully that helps.

If the function is not defined then the routine has not been loaded... if a manual, or programmatic load has occurred, then it was unsuccessful. Check your code in the VLIDE first, then check from hard-coded file paths that may no longer exist with the move to Windows 7.

I would love to get the information that you have. Let me know what other thread/forum to go to.

I say to make a new thread, so that others can chime in with good advise... I'd suggest the Chat forum.

Just be sure to give the thread a clear title, and explanation (in your post) so that others know what kind of info to offer.

Is there any other lisp file that is running side by side with this one ?

There are about 34 different lisp files that are in our loaded applications that aren't AutoCAD 2002's regular files. Since, I was not the one that created all of these files and who knows where that person is, I have no idea what lsp files do what and how the interact with each other. Also, almost all of our lsp files are attached to a certain profile that everyone uses. From what I can tell none of the menu's that I described earlier work unless that profile is made current. Would this be the root of my problems?

Well if things 'work' under that profile... then use the profile, until you are able to 'reconfigure' things the way you want.

Ask yourself... Is using the desired profile critical, or optional?

I have already made the profile the current profile on the Windows 7 machine. So, I am still stuck in the same situation where the routines aren't working. I am beginning to feel like it just isn't going to work. Could it all be because it is going from 32-bit to 64-bit? Is there anyway I can attach the profile file so that you can see if that is what is causing some of the problems?

Going from 32-Bit OS to 64-Bit OS is not going to prevent LISP from working... with the exception mentioned earlier of hard-coded paths, and perhaps a referenced 32-Bit file such as any commands that use the Shell Object to Run a NirCmd.exe function, or the like. I don't beleive that last part is your issue, given the little I know.

Here's where I'd start to make sure everything is on the up-and-up for your new Win7 Box... open the Options, and go to Files tab. Make sure that all of the File paths listed are valid, and make the C:\Program Files (x86)\ change as necessary for your deployment. Then test code again.

... Don't forget the earlier suggestion of opening the code in the Visual LISP Integrated Development Environment (VLIDE) to debug your code.

I'm busy at the moment (I've got to get this submittal out today!), but will check the .LSP file you posted later.

Good luck!

Thank you for the help. I have actually just got half of the problem fixed by re-pathing the file to the correct folder. So, I will keep pounding away until I get it fixed. Thank you all for the help. Any more information that you may have would be greatly appreciated. Thank you again.